Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pairing Oak and Cherry

Pairing Oak and Cherry

I am making a small chest of drawers to hold hobby supplies (the opening is roughly 16" x 16", I don't remember exactly).

The outer case is oak. My original intent was to make the drawer faces from some curly cherry that I have sitting around.

The more I think about it, the less certain i am that I want to use cherry for the face and oak for the case. Any thoughts on how these might be made to look good together?

I may put this on top of an Oak shelf that I built.... and I may put it on an African Mahogany desk that I built.

As I was driving home from work today I started thinking that maybe I should not mix these two woods... and if I did, how would I finish them so that they look good together.

I would go really dark with the oak and leave the cherry natural.

You have to also consider that the cherry will darken from sunlight. So even though the color might be similar initially, the cherry will end up much darker - although the effect differs from board to board. If you like the look, I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead.

Don't know if this appeals to you or not but I really like the look of ebonized (especially rift sawn) oak, with the grain left to show through the finish, with cherry.

John

I had not thought to ebonize the wood. On oak, is that likely to hide the grain pattern? I could also use some transtint or just a mocca stain. I guess I would need to experiment with it to get it right.

I looked up how to ebonize wood. I think it is something I could do, but I should figure that out before I build the shelves I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I had not thought to ebonize the wood. On oak, is that likely to hide the grain pattern? I could also use some transtint or just a mocca stain. I guess I would need to experiment with it to get it right.

I looked up how to ebonize wood. I think it is something I could do, but I should figure that out before I build the shelves I suppose.
    If you ebonize the oak, you can still tell that it's oak. If you are partial to the grain pattern of oak, you could consider ebonized walnut or cherry to go with the natural cherry.

I combined red oak rails and stiles with cherry panels for one side of a column wrap between my kitchen and dining room. The kitchen cabinets and trim will eventually be cherry and the rest of the house has natural finished red oak trim so I wanted a tie in between the two. Finish is just oil based poly. The cherry has been finished since probably June.

Kitchen_column_sm.jpgKitchen_column2_sm.jpg

This should give you an idea of how they pair at least in a natural finish. I'm sure the cherry will darken some more with time.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Sundberg View Post
    I combined red oak rails and stiles with cherry panels for one side of a column wrap between my kitchen and dining room. The kitchen cabinets and trim will eventually be cherry and the rest of the house has natural finished red oak trim so I wanted a tie in between the two. Finish is just oil based poly. The cherry has been finished since probably June.

Kitchen_column_sm.jpgKitchen_column2_sm.jpg

This should give you an idea of how they pair at least in a natural finish. I'm sure the cherry will darken some more with time.

Don
    I put cherry doors in a kitchen with red oak cabinets. I had planned to reface the cabinets eventually, but the combination isn't hurting my eyes like I feared it would. On second thought, looking at the attached photo makes me think I should get started with that refacing.

IMG_9204.jpg
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    If you ebonize the oak, you can still tell that it's oak. If you are partial to the grain pattern of oak, you could consider ebonized walnut or cherry to go with the natural cherry.
    I already built the case.... and next I will build the drawers. I could still choose to use oak for the door fronts. My intention was to use inset drawers with half blind dovetails on the fronts. It would be trivial for me to not use inset drawers which would pretty much hide the case front.

I really appreciate the pictures, that helps me visualize how it would look finished before i run samples.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post

No, it won't hide the grain unless you use grain filler or apply so many coats of finish that it fills the grain. I did this cabinet with a dark (but not black) stain but it shows how the grain comes through.

IMG_3451.JPG

These cabinets were done with Krylon rattle can black lacquer, before I knew anything. The grain pops right out.

AF000301_73702656.JPG

The easiest way to ebonize is to apply India Ink. It works great. Just mask off what you don't want to get black and apply it with a foam brush. You can apply any topcoat over it once it dries. Try it on a corner joint to make sure it doesn't bleed around the corner. If it does then you could go with a black gel stain instead. IME Transtint doesn't come close to giving a true black. Make sure to raise the grain first so it doesn't happen when you apply the India Ink.

John

I don't think anything is good with oak except oak. Perhaps walnut if you absolutely want a different wood, but not cherry.

This is a shot of the cabinets I am working on. The doors aren't built yet, but this is what Red Oak and Maple look like together. The oak has a Red Oak stain and the Maple is natural.

I know it is not quite what you want, but it is kinda, sorta, like what you are thinking of .

P5070102.jpg
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    I would expect a dark case with lighter doors, but too very similar color woods will look odd to my eye in the same project. Cherry is a very refined wood with tight grain structure, oak is not, so on the same piece without a greater contrast between the woods I think it will look odd.

I might mix white oak and walnut, or white oak and Ebony. JMHO.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-08-2015 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Fixing iPad related spelling and grammar errors
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Considered pairing cherry & oak once on a chest project. I agree with Brian. I decided the difference in grain would be distracting more than the color difference. Oak has a pretty strong look to it, and figured cherry more refined and delicate, IMO.