Thread: Huge Forstner question

Huge Forstner question

I would like to get a 3" Forstner. I don't have to have it, but I want to make an ultra clean 3" hole for church altar candle holders.

Carbon Steel: I see MLCS for $23, Steelex for $20,
    HSS: Lee Valley for $44, Famag Bormax for $199.85.

Has anyone used MLCS or Steelex or Lee Valley? I probably should buy groceries instead of a $200 Forstner.
    I need clean cut for sure. Durability opens up future uses.

Comments?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have a 2-5/8 inch Steelex and like it. If you are only going to do a dozen or so candle holders, I'd just get one of the less expensive ones. When they dull they can be touched up (see Eddie Castalin's you tube video. I also have some other cheap no-name forstner bits and they all work fine. If they get dull (like after I used one to cut a hole in a 1/4 inch 6061 aluminum plate), I sharpened it up. If I were doing production work, I'd look for carbide tipped bits, but I'm just doing hobby stuff.

3. Brian.......check with Peachtree Woodworking. I have purchased 3 large bits from them that seem to be very good quality, and were reasonably priced. One was a 3-1/8" I think it was in the neighborhood of $60 if I recall correctly, but just check. They have performed well for me so far.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I've used LV, but not that large a bit. I suggest you stay with HHS whichever brand you pick. The cheap ones will likely be HCS which will lose it's temper very quickly. Those bits get hot enough to ruin them very quickly.
    Paul

My test run on a sample block worked out OK. The 3" cut is for large candles. The deeper one for 1" candles. These are plastic candles with wicks for oil, so I do not need anything fireproof over the wood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 11-07-2015 at 5:51 PM.

Why the need for the Forstner? Can you just turn the 3" hole in the end of the piece?

Yes, Bruce, that is the 3" hole and it worked out nice and square and smooth without the forstner.

Will your drill press handle such a large bit?

Honestly I would prefer to use a router and a circle template to machine a 3" hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I probably should buy groceries instead of a $200 Forstner.
    Oh sure, there are desperately needed shop tools and you go and squander your money on food and utilities. Some people, I tell ya.

Brian,

I use a 2 7/8" and a 3 1/8" Forstner bit often to provide flat face for either worm screw in chuck or 3" faceplate. I use the drill press when possible but also use a 1/2" corded drill with aux handle. I expect that you will be drilling on the lathe. Drilling that large a hole on lathe, you might consider using full size bit to "mark" the location and center, and then use a smaller bit to bottom to reduce power requirement for cutting the full size hole. My bits are the cheap variety and I have paid to have them professionally sharpened, almost cost of bits. All that said, a heavy straight scraper should work to clean up a hole on the lathe.

Yes, the drill press can handle it. It is a Jet 20" drill press with 1.5 HP.

I would use a compass/double pointy end divider to mark the hole, round nose scraper or hollowing tip for the main part, and a square nosed scraper for the sides. You can probably do it faster than you can with a forstner bit, and the scrapers are easier to sharpen. You can do the same for the smaller inside hole as well.

robo hippy

I know guys that use the Forstner's to drill out 3.5" diameter turkey pots and they are happy with the results, but I am like Reed Gray, I would use the lathe.

I do not know if they are still on sale but woodcraft has a set 1/4" to 3-1/8" for 109 bucks I just pick one up last week.

I've got a 2" Steelex that has performed well and I have no complaints. For the price, durability isn't really an issue and it shouldn't be hard to sharpen when it gets dull. That Woodcraft deal sounds like a good deal!