Thread: Good source of decent utility-grade cabinets?

Good source of decent utility-grade cabinets?

Looking to buy some cabinets (just don't have time to build them, right now). I'm looking around trying to find some that would be acceptable for a garage/workshop installation, but can't really seem to find what I'm looking for. I'd really like some that are:
    1) Mostly drawers
    2) Decent quality (prefinished ply, Bluemotion hardware, etc)
    3) Plain and "utility" grade (painted and with simple drawer fronts, etc)

Does such a thing exist? I can't seem to find it.

I got very lucky and outfitted a good part of my shop with cabinets from some chemistry labs that were being dismantled in a local company. I saw them outside and the were glad to have me take them away, along with some heavy oak doors that made fantastic bench tops. The cabs have a number of smaller drawers and a couple have larger bottle storage. They are perfect. I don't know where you are located, but demo sites abound with this kind of stuff. Worth checking out...

Hth

Joe

Barker Cabinets makes ready to assemble cabinets that are solidly built (barkercabinet.com).

I'm a supt. for a commercial general contractor. Virtually every interior renovation project I do includes demolishing a breakroom (or kitchen) and/or copy/file areas. They are always p-lam cabinets, nice slides and euro hinges, adjustable shelves inside, etc., even the countertops. Look up your local commercial gc's and ask them if they have any interior reno projects coming up. Just like in Joe's case, they'll probably be glad to let you haul them off. On my projects, when someone wants them, I usually can't let them come onto my site (insurance, safety, etc.), so I have the demo guys haul them down to the loading dock, where the recipient can load them up and take them away.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

I have seen quite a variety of pre-owned cabinets at my local Habitat ReStore. They might have something suitable. They also change inventory pretty quickly, so keep trying.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I also checked out the IKEA cabinets, today, and was fairly impressed - Blum hardware, metal drawer sides, and priced right. Wish they didn't use so much particleboard, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I have seen quite a variety of pre-owned cabinets at my local Habitat ReStore. They might have something suitable. They also change inventory pretty quickly, so keep trying.
    This is my suggestion also, inventory changes all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Thanks for the ideas, guys. I also checked out the IKEA cabinets, today, and was fairly impressed - Blum hardware, metal drawer sides, and priced right. Wish they didn't use so much particleboard, but...
    I'd highly recommend IKEA cabs. Have a fair amount in my shop. It may be particleboard but it's damn good particleboard. I have large spare cab sides (eg 24x80) hanging around my shop that have stayed dead nuts flat for years. The hardware is great of course as it's Blum. Just protect the particleboard edges from moisture and you're golden.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the above comments about Ikea cabinets. For inexpensive knock down type cabinets, they are great. Much better than anything I could find at Home Depot that was close to the price. Really good hardware, drawers are sturdy. Good value.

I third the suggestion for the Habitat ReStore. I'm lucky enough to have one 30 minutes away. Just bought 3 wall cabinets for my garage for $30 each. They were solid red oak raised panel doors and face frames with plywood veneer sides. Each had 3 shelves (coated particle board) and they had European hinges.

I just finished my bathroom with barker cabinets. I recommend them. You can make it as cheap or hig end as you want. The only downside is the lead time. Insides are prefinished, good ply. Blum slides. You can get the outsides varnished, or paint, stain grade.

Everything goes together with conformat screws. Everything is pre-drilled.

All the ordering is done through the website. You can configure height and widths to the nearest inch. You can configure base and wall cabinets with up to 5 drawers I think.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-20-2015 at 10:37 AM.

People seem to have a "used" allergy. You can find some great, overbuilt cabinets from the 50s and 60s, some of them ex-industrial, at re-stores or thrift shops or at plain old garage sales. Used is fun, man. $8 at the thrift shop for my 50-60 year old 300 pound+ 6 foot cabinet with beefy drawers and doors, heavy top and great, cabin-y style. Just have to keep your eyes open and not be in such a hurry.