Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 271 - blade slightly skewed?

Stanley 271 - blade slightly skewed?

I never owned a router plane before, and thought I'd try a little Stanley 271 before diving in head-first.

I got one off Ebay, and it seems in fine condition, except the blade doesn't quite point straight ahead:

What the hey? Is this normal? It does this in both the front and back positions, so it can't be the plane itself. Did Stanley sometimes cut the slot wrong in the blade? Could this be the wrong blade?

- Or is it somehow supposed to be like this, to give a slight skew?
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 11-08-2015 at 3:57 AM.

It looks to be the result of sharpening. They aren't the easiest to thing to hold and sharpen so it's easy to get a skew while doing the deed.

Thanks, Ralph, but I don't think so. It's a little hard to see in the pic, but the entire "foot" of the blade comes off its shaft at an angle. The edge is cut fairly close to 90º. (Not quite, as if the last user was trying to compensate for the problem.)

Maybe this shows it better:

I agree these are hard to sharpen, though. That's gonna' be my next question / thread!

If I knew that the blade was bad, I'd order a new one from St James Bay (or LV if they fit) And try to grind this one down to either 1/8" or a point, for inlay work. But I'm really puzzled here.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 11-08-2015 at 7:17 AM.

Allan,

I'm not knowledgeable about the 271 so I can't answer your question about the cutter but, I do use router planes both small and large and can say that within reason a slight slew of the blade will not affect the use of a unfenced router plane. Unless you want to try and get your money back I would just put 'er to use. They are handy little suckers.

ken

Allan
    I looked at mine and although the blade isn't as skewed as yours its not truly at a right angle. Looking at my 271 I'm not sure its really 90 degrees either although its closer. Seems that Stanley quality control was lacking in these.
    In use it doesn't matter. In fact when you use it your eye will line up the blade to follow where you want it to go.
    Bill

It looks off, but I agree it should not make much difference. I think you will find your eye focusing on the blade when you use it anyway, and it should be a simple matter to keep the blade aligned that way.

The toe of the cutter needs a clearance angle of around 1 to 2 degree's. Measured when the toe of the cutter is set flush to the sole of the router. As Brian B. suggests, you can skew the body of the router to compensate for the misalignment of the foot.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 11-08-2015 at 9:33 AM.

I skew planes by turning them slightly any time I get tear out, as a first correction. You can skew the body to correct or you can just use it. I don't see a downside.

I have three of these and 2 have cutters skewed slightly, only in the opposite direction from yours. One is "Made in Eng" like yours, brand new in the box ($5 at a tool swap last week; stealth gloat) and it has the worst skew. I think it is just Stanley's inability to consistently locate the slot. It doesn't really affect usefulness.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wease View Post
    I have three of these and 2 have cutters skewed slightly, only in the opposite direction from yours. One is "Made in Eng" like yours, brand new in the box ($5 at a tool swap last week; stealth gloat) and it has the worst skew. I think it is just Stanley's inability to consistently locate the slot. It doesn't really affect usefulness.
    Whoa whoa whoa, where was this tool swap? We have those around San Diego? I thought all the vintage tools were on the east coast hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, where was this tool swap? We have those around San Diego? I thought all the vintage tools were on the east coast hahah
    Yeah, San Diego Fine Woodworkers sponsor a tool swap meet 3 times a year in the Rockler parking lot. Next one is 1st Sunday in April.

By the way, Lie Nielsen will have a hand tool event at Palomar College in San Marcos January 22-23. Hand tools are alive and well in San Diego. Just rare and expensive.

See I need to join your woodworkers club down there. We got nothing up here in Temecula. I might have to go to the LN event too!

The only thing that matters in a router plane, is that the cutting edge is parallel with the base.
    What the router does is create a plane parallel to another, the base references one plane, the cutter creates the second.
    Hence, the orientation of the cutting edge relative to anything other than the base plane is immaterial.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I wouldn't worry about it.
    I have a Lee Valley version and there is no groove most of the time I deliberately set the blade skewed to get into corners better.

Check how the screws is hitting the slot of the iron. It may be hitting the back edge of the slot and twisting it a little. A bit of filing may correct it.
    Jim