Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

8 Nov 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
    Well, I'm winding down my week of oncall duty. I'm past ready for it to be over.
    The buffing work has begun on the guitar body and I'm really anxious to be able to pick it up and play it for the first time soon.....I hope. Still working on the LOML Jr's blanket chest but I'm also spending time getting things done for my wife (to-do list) as well as working on setting up a new iPad for my own mother who will get off the old PC computers at her house and onto an iPad that will serve her much better. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a successful transition to the iPad for her and put an end to her frustration with computers once and for all.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all....!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I bottled 4.5gal of pale ale. Racked 5gal of light lager. Went to shop to work on another prototype of a 6 pack beer caddy (see a trend?) only to be called by the wife that our laundry drain overflowed and dumped in the floor. Last weekend the kitchen backed up so bad I had to call a plumber as I couldn't get my 1/4 snake past a "T". The house is 60s/70s built and has cast iron under slab. Everything has been fine all week - dishwasher, sinks, washing machine all draining. I go to shop to piddle and boom, backs up and dumps in the floor. I get home and it works just fine. Colored me confused. Maybe she rigged it so I have to do laundry? Go away, Murphy.
    -Lud

I didn't do squat. It was awesome

Blog Entries
    I helped my son install an aftermarket stereo / entertainment center in his car. He found a unit a a liquidation center for 35$. We rigged up the wiring harness, reinstalled after testing, and then closed up the dash. He felt pretty good at the accommplishment when done.

LOML spent the whole weekend at her club's gem and jewelry fair. She was pretty beat each evening. I made sure she had a nice meal to com home to. Call me "Mr. Mom"

And.....Bayern beat Stuttgart 4-0
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I spent the weekend at the NC Woodturning Symposium. Boy, am I tired. Spent way to much money on wood and stuff.
    Joe

The coffee table is almost ready for finishing! After hashing over the best and safest way to go about cutting the bevel on the solid banded top, I just decided to take my chances with my right-tilt tablesaw and see what would happen. The long sides were easy enough, taken in a couple of passes. For the short sides, I had to build a panel sled so I'd have better control. There's still a bit of cleanup left to do before I attach the top, but I should be able to start the finish by the weekend.

p.s. I don't know if I'm the only one this has ever happened to, but it seems funny and worth sharing--the edges on the beveled (40-degree) banding got so sharp while I was planing away saw blade burn marks, that I cut myself twice. Two small cuts (about 3/8") from beech wood! I thought the term "scary sharp" only applied to the edges of well sharpened plane and chisel blades. For sure, I'll be knocking down those sharp edges with a block plane before final sanding and finishing. But maybe I should hang warning signs on the table in the meantime?!

ForumRunner_20151109_083149.jpg ForumRunner_20151109_083203.jpg ForumRunner_20151109_083218.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 11-09-2015 at 5:33 PM.

In between raking leaves and getting the yard ready for Winter....and replacing the seal and bolts and washers on a toilet tank that was leaking... I managed to get 3 "Bowl from a Board" blanks ready for turning...hopefully next weekend!!

Blanks.jpg

Barry, those are going to be some fantastic looking bowls when you're finished. Please do post pics when they're done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Barry, those are going to be some fantastic looking bowls when you're finished. Please do post pics when they're done!
    Thanks Mike....will do.....

I planned on finishing up the base for my new workbench this past weekend, BUT....

I made the mistake of visiting the bookstore Saturday, and spent the rest of Saturday reading. It was quite enjoyable, yet accomplished nothing on my bench.

Sunday, I had a few hours, which I spent drilling a couple of holes in the rear legs, and starting in on the tenons for the end stretchers. Fitting tenons that are almost 2" long is a time consuming undertaking, but I did get all four tenons for the upper stretchers done. I'll be finishing up with the lower stretchers this week, or weekend at latest. I hope.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

After working on my shop a good chunk of the summer, I started my first official project. I'm building a bedroom set (Bed with drawers on the foot, Armoire, and two nightstands) for some friends. It's been great to work with my shop instead of on my shop.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Saturday i drove nine hours round trip to pick up the little beauty bellow.

Then spent about an hour getting it inot my shop. Fell asleep in my dinner.

Sunday i started the day with a 5 mile dog walk. They earned it after nine hours in the car saturday.

I followed the dog walk with a couple hours of nesisary weekly errands. Watched a football game while i ate a bag of tortilla chips and about four avocados.

Changed the tires on my bandsaw. Man what a difference! Then i puttered around my shop that is still in the works of being fully up and running taking care of some odds and ends..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-09-2015 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Rotated image

Here's what I finished this weekend:

IMG_8335.jpg

It is very closely based on the display/gun cabinet in the 78th issue of Woodsmith (Dec 1991). I made a very small number of modifications to that design. I added in two front-to-back stringers underneath the bottom shelf as ammunition is very heavy. I modified the stock rack and barrel rail to be able to hold 10 guns rather than six, and to have them perpendicular to the front rather than at an angle. I also moved the top case's lock to the top of the door rather than the bottom as the face frame in the top was larger and easier to catch with the lock mechanism than the bottom one was. I made the case out of 3/4" oak ply and the face frame, doors, and trim are all resawn old reclaimed oak barn rafters. The "glass" in the doors is acrylic rather than glass as it is easier to work with and much more sturdy.

This was a fun project to make and gave my router a real workout. The door joinery entailed laminated 3/8" thick coped-and-stuck rails with a rabbet cut underneath using a dado head, roundover bit and a core box bit rather than a single pass through a cope and stick bit or shaper cutter with an undercutter as we would do today. It also called for glass stop, which I made with the router and bandsaw as well. It was a lot of precision work with a router and a dado head on my cabinet saw but I am pleased with the results of fiddling with it to get it "just so" and sacrificing a large number of offcuts as test pieces.

It is also a fun project as it gives me an excuse to buy more guns. The cabinet is less than half full

My next project will most likely be a new desk. I currently use an old secretary desk probably made in the 1930s or 1940s that while pretty, is just too small for that purpose (22" x 42").
    Last edited by Phillip Gregory; 11-12-2015 at 9:26 PM.

It is also a fun project as it gives me an excuse to buy more guns. The cabinet is less than half full
    My kind of guy, always can find an excuse to buy one more gun!

The issue would be to decide exactly what to get. There's not a whole lot you can't do with a 12 and 20 gauge shotgun, a .22 rimfire, and a .30-06.

I know, I'll get a 5 hp shaper and an old Delta or DeWalt RAS! There I go...