Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What sized shoulder plane for my first?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Thank you all for the input. I don't really *need* one if I'm being honest. But, there have been many times when I've wanted to clean up a right angle inside corner. Of course, now I can't remember all the times I've said "man, I really need to get a shoulder plane for this", but I'm sure there have been many. I've got some Lee Valley gift cards so I was thinking of treating myself and a shoulder plane popped up as a good idea.
    Good thing we didn't start out with your fantastic financial fortune. It would have turned into a "How to spend Mike's money" thread.

I do not know about your work or planned projects. In my work, my most used speciality planes of which Lee Valley has an equivalent are as follows:

Rabbet plane Record #778.
    Plow Plane Stanley #45 and #50
    Both of those are often followed by my side rabbet planes Stanley #98 & #99. Carefully used they can clean up the side or base of a rabbet. They can be used to cut a rabbet. They can also be used to trim shoulders on a tenon.

If I was currently in the market, a skew rabbet or a skew plow would be on the list.

I do have and use a shoulder plane, a Stanley #93. It is possible to do all of its work by some other means if need be. It is often handy for what it was made to do, registering off of one surface to make another at a perfect 90º.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mike,
    Two bits to add to the mix.
    I have and use a vintage #92 (3/4") shoulder plane. It's great. I often find myself using it with the nose removed, to get into inside corners when using a chisel feels uncontrolled. I have never felt like I needed a larger version... because:
    I also have a LN Rabbet Block Plane. It was one of my first planes. Since your collection is small, you may find the same thing I did... a well made, sharp rabbet block plane is a versatile tool. The 1 3/4" blade get's right into corners and can trim very narrow shoulders, but also serves as another general purpose, low-angle block plane.

I have a LV medium, but I would recommend the large.

As for the Stanley 90 series planes, I really hate those things. Can't get them to work worth a darn. Uncomfortable to use. Not worth anything but melting down for scrap IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    As for the Stanley 90 series planes, I really hate those things. Can't get them to work worth a darn. Uncomfortable to use. Not worth anything but melting down for scrap IMO.
    I definitely agree with that. My experience is exactly the same. Going to the LV shoulder plane was a revelation.

Mike

[And for use, the LV is a lot more comfortable to use than the Stanley, Record, or LN.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-10-2015 at 10:59 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

+1 . I wish i had the bigger one too. Unless u do dados i think the bigger and massier the better.

I use a router to clean out dados. I do not have a shoulder plane. I look at getting one every couple of years, and somehow something else always seems more useful/versatile for the money. A plow or beader is very handy (the Stanley 45 or Sargent 1080 will do both), as is a router.

I have the LV medium shoulder plane. It is a good size for cabinet work. Great control for tenons.
    I recently acquired a LN rabbet block plane. It is a good candidate to replace a shoulder plane when need. I do find it more versatile as it can handle a multitude of tenon and shoulder shavings.

I have the LV medium and use it for stub tenon cheeks on doors and for small tenons on small furniture aprons. Love it. Absolutely love it. I bought it also for dadoes, but haven't really used it for that.

I have an LN large, a LV medium and a Preston small (not the infill, but about7/16" width).

I use the large LN most of all, with the mass making it very adept in use. Next is the small Preston. However, I would not ever get rid of the LV, because there are times it is the only one that would work (such as cleaning the bottom of a 3/4" dado).

So, buy 'em all! Seriously, probably the LV first, as it will do everything the LN will do, but the LN will not do everything the LV will (because of the width). But the LN still remains the one I use most.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    I bought a medium quite a few years back but it has seen very little use. Some people use a shoulder plane a good deal some almost never use one. The point being it isn't as versatile a tool as several other "specialty" planes. I think you might use a LV or LN skew rabbit, skew block, plow plane, router plane more than a shoulder plane. The planes I mention can save you from needing a router and router table to do grooves, dadoes,.raised panels, tongue & grooves, laps...You can do most of what you might use the shoulder plane for with chisels and one of the planes i mentioned. Think about what you actually plan to use the tool for. I just bought a LV skew rabbit because I want to make raised panels, larger dadoes without a router or router table. It is nice to have the ability to set depth of cut and a nicker to score the edge, neither of which the shoulder plane has. My buddy lost part of a finger on his router table and they are extremely bad about making dust that covers everything in the shop and does not do ones lungs much good either.

Plus you don't have a jack or jointer plane yet if I understand correctly. I bought a shoulder plane early on too, but I don't often take the time to get it out when I have block, rabbit, plow, router planes and chisels out to do the majority of the work. You could buy a used Stanley and see if you use/like it.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 11-11-2015 at 2:06 PM.

Mike is on to something here. I love and use my shoulder planes. But....i could see most Neanders using their rabbet planes much more, and they have more overall utility. Same with a plow.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Hey everyone! I've got an opinion question to ask of you. I currently own (2) hand planes(4 if you count the two low quality ones that I never use). They are:

Stanley 4 1/2 and the Lee Valley Apron block plane. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Veritas shoulder plane from Lee Valley, but I Can't decide between the medium and large.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...90&cat=1,41182

Any reason in particular I should be considering one over the other? Also, by all means, if there's a plane I've overlooked, please make that suggestion too.

Thanks!
    Hi Mike

I own and use all the LV shoulder planes. The one that gets least use is the Large (1 1/4" wide), which I purchased about 2 1/2 years ago, thinking that it might make a good all rounder. In fact, I find it larger than I need. Perhaps I will grow into it.

The two I use frequently are the Small (1/2") and the Medium (3/4").

In the main, I use a chisel to tune tenon shoulders. However this is less easy when there is such a small amount to pare away that a chisel has difficulty registering in the line. Sometimes I can use a square and a knife to slice the waste away. If not, I use the 1/2" Small shoulder plane. This size gives the most control on a shoulder. Rarely are shoulders wider than 1/2".

If I were to recommend one shoulder plane - and I guess I am - it would be the 3/4" Medium. I find this plane invaluable for fine tuning rebates (and of course it does shoulders as well).

The LN rabbet block plane was mentioned. This is a good plane for breadboard ends, may be used on tenon cheeks, but is too wide for shoulders or rebates. An alternative for breadboard ends is the LV Jack Rabbet Plane, which is also preferred for raising panels. It is also too wide to comfortable use it on rebates.

Tenon cheeks? If there is just a smidgeon to remove, then a rasp or the LN Joinery Float is used. I would only use a plane if there is a significant amount to remove (Large LV shoulder - in a pinch but not well balanced on cheeks; LN rabbet block - better balance; LV Skew Block planes - cut more cleanly; LV Large router plane - if the cheek is out-of-parallel).

Regards from Perth

Derek