Thread: When to just say "yes, dear"

When to just say "yes, dear"

TheMrs showed me this and asked for one. So I found a small beautiful scrap of sapele, shaped and molded it. But it's not like the one she online. So back to the shed I go and make the same one as the picture. She loved it, posted on the Facebook and now I'm inundated for orders for the holidays.

image.jpg

I have a couple of issues here: I don't like the design and someone is selling these most likely as a cottage industry level. Even for more tool $ I do not wish to take away someone else's artisan income. So my solution is: any friends and family who wants me to make one can donate to a feed the homeless or a veterans charity until New Years, what they think it's worth. Or pony up the $60 for a rectangle with some books from the other place.

Thoughts as as hobbyists and makers? Am I overthinking the $ aspect like I did the design aspect?
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

I think your desire to do good out weighs your reappropriation of one of the classic Fathers Day tie rack designs.

I'd be willing to be a lot of the "artisans" you're referencing also have a day job like yourself and are not going to resort to Ramen noodles based on your sale of a few items. Good for you for thinking about charging via donations, though!

I admire your choice. Good on ya!
    Fred

That's sapele? My first thought is oak that's been stained? I know Sapele has all sorts of grain patterns, but I don't think I've seen one that had that type of pattern.

Whoever is charging $60 for that is getting plenty of profit unless they are buying the hardware retail. I wouldn't worry about taking profit from them- it's not like they spent a lot of time designing it. Your idea about the donations is excellent, I'll have to use that when my family wants to pay me for doing work for them.
    At least your wife didn't see this online:
    greenmanloaded.jpg
    Karl

She didn't like the sapele re-design so I used some oak saved from church pews after a fire.

Thanks for the responses gents, this place keeps me sane during election years!
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

FYI Robert. As I am sure you are aware, rarely can a husband go wrong with a simple and sincere sounding "Yes Dear".
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

None of my business but I would put something on the ear ring rod to prevent the rod ends from being able to slip past the cup hooks. Other than that, I've found after 43 years to just keep my mouth shut and nod agreement.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    At least your wife didn't see this online:
    greenmanloaded.jpg
    Karl

And thank goodness for small favors Karl! Seriously the carving you do is absolutely amazing. In the worst of all possible worlds, if the LOML were to ask me for something like you do, I would tell her with a straight face "absolutely Impossible, carving like that is only done by aliens from another planet".

Please don't blow my cover because I've got absolutely no shot if you do.

Best, Mike