Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon, Hot Dogs and Cancer Risk

Bacon, Hot Dogs and Cancer Risk

You probably heard the news. Most reports said the WHO (World Health Organization) found processed meats increase your cancer risk by 18%. If you study it you find other numbers. The average risk for Americans of getting colorectal cancer is 5% on the average diet. Eat more than a hot dog a day and your risk is now 6% according to WHO.

Google Bacon 18% 5% 6% to see all kinds of news like:
    An
    18% increase in that risk means the risk rises from 5% to just under 6%. That's the absolute risk. The 18% is called the relative risk.

I'm not a big processed meat or bacon eater so I didn't really mourn on hearing the 18% news. I was just surprised how deep you had to look beyond the headlines to get the whole picture.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Interesting, thanks for posting that.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I guess I'm high risk with my 5 or 6 lbs of bacon and 50 to 60 hot dogs I eat a year. Guess I better cut back.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

You know what? It's all a bunch of hooey.
    They say processed meats are bad, but we are in no way going to stop having it. Eggs were bad at one recent time. Now they're good.
    We poisoned ourselves in the 40s and 50s with all the open air nuclear testing. Why should we worry about what we eat? It's too late for that.

Anyone who eats anything is going to die.

And to further Tom's comment, anyone who eats nothing is going to die too. Just remember the base death rate is one per.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

100% of all people that develop cancer have drank water. I guess we should all stop drinking water.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I am surprised that anything published by the World Health Organisation is taken seriously.

FWIW, I once read that the single most carcinogenic, "naturally occurring" substance known to man, is bacon. This was in something like Scientific American, not "Tree Huggers Weekly."

One might argue that bacon, per se, is not quite "naturally occurring," but you know what they meant. Not Dioxin.

It sure tastes good, though!

Well we die once, but look at all the days in between! Enjoy your bacon et al. Everything in moderation you know.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

My philosophy has always vacillated between these 2 options:

A. Everybody dies of something.
    B. Nobody is leaving this parking lot alive.

" And so it goes"

I made a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin on the grill this last weekend. It may kill me but I will have a smile on my face.

I'm fine with this since I switched from bacon to sausage with my two eggs for breakfast every day!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

My Mother will be 100 in April. I'm pretty sure she has never missed many days eating bacon, and she likes hotdogs too. I called her and asked if she had seen the news about how bad this was for her, and she had a good laugh. She did say that she had switched to the all beef hotdogs a long time ago, but wasn't about to give up bacon.

I started doing these things before they found out it was bad for me............ so I'm OK!