Thread: Jet 1642 Question

Jet 1642 Question

The lady that bought my Jet 1642 is having trouble with the speed read out on the lathe. When she first starts it the speed shows up but when she starts turning the digital readout flashes zero. She's unplugged it and plugged it back in only to have the same thing happen. She's blown out as much as she can reach with an air hose. She said the lathe runs and the speed control works like usual but the digital speed read out has a problem.

She's going to call Jet for help but I wonder if anyone here has had something similar happen?

Dave Fritz

Dave - without looking at my lathe - I am pretty sure there is setup to read the spindle rpms. Has to be a small piece of metal or a magnet on the spindle and then something to read when it rotates past it. I am sure that the 'system' is slightly adjustable and chances are it is loose from the normal vibrations caused by turning. Remove power, unscrew the faceplate holding the on/off switch and readout and she should be able to view the whole setup.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve is correct, here is a copy of the manual. Page 19 describes troubleshooting. Simple adjustment.
    http://content.jettools.com/assets/m...359_man_EN.pdf

Thank you gentlemen. I've emailed the owner and shared what you said. I sure hope she can get it fixed.

Dave Fritz

+1 on readjusting the sensor on its bracket. My guess is it shifted during the after-sale move. If it was a bit loose, it doesn't take much to bump it out of alignment. Very nice of you to follow up for the new owner.

If it is the same as the Powermatic the set screws can come loose. It is a bit finicky about being lineed up precisely. Also may be a benefit to have small hands. The Powermatic was confining enough. I'm sure the Jet is even tighter.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Here's what I got back from Mary: Hi, Dave, the problem was very simple, the faceplate that holds the sensor was loose, the screws had worked themselves enough that it vibrated. Hope all my problems are that simple in the future, eh?
    This site is the best, thanks so much.
    Dave Fritz

Dave - that is good news! We are all happy when someone can fix their lathe and get back to turning! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!