Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop Music-Favorite Bands, Singers, Performers, etc.

Shop Music-Favorite Bands, Singers, Performers, etc.

Today being Veterans Day I felt a little spicier and turned on some classic rock and roll music. A visitor came to the house and asked who the previous two singers/bands were who played. I said Rolling Stones and Meatloaf. The young man had never heard of either. It surprised me. So who are you favorite bands? Do you listen while woodworking?
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 11-11-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Rich, I think "Bat Out of 7734" is one of the best albums of the 80's.

My fave bands now (thanks, kids) are Muse and Arcade Fire. In highschool it was Rush and the Smiths. In college, Erasure and Petshop Boys.

If I'm alone, tho, I now prefer podcasts. Shop Talk Live. I love Matt Kenney and Mike Pekovitch. I don't so much care for Tom McKenna, but "Don't be sad, 'cause two outa three ain't bad".

Blog Entries
    For current bands, while I like Muse and Arcade Fire, I listen to The National, Neko Case, Gaslight Anthem, Decemberists, Augustines, The Joy Formidable, A New Found Glory, North Atlantic Oscillation, Trampled by Turtles, and Riverside more of the newer bands.

Mid era bands I like - Strokes, Train, Tonic, Sleater-Kinney, Redlight King, Social Distortion, Mescaleros, and the Killers.

The Oldies getting play are The Rolling Stones, Beethoven, Frank Zappa, Elvis Costello, the Doors, The Who, Jethro Tull, Benny Goodman, Johnny Smith, ELO, Dream Syndicate, the Cure, Big Joe Turner, Richard Thompson, Duke Ellington, Nina Simone, and Neil Young.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I have not gotten out of the 70's with my music appreciation except for a few 80's era bands

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I have not gotten out of the 70's with my music appreciation except for a few 80's era bands
    Same for me. I've always listened to almost entirely classic rock from the 60's and 70's.

Bruce Springsteen, Steve Winwood, Elton John were big in the 80's from what I remember.

PHM

Everything from Enya to Nirvana. It may be the Stones when I am sending rough lumber through the planer and then Enya when carving. The music attitude impacts my working attitude, if that makes sense.
    I like most all music but am forever tied to Classic Rock and the Beatles(from my era).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Everything from Enya to Nirvana. It may be the Stones when I am sending rough lumber through the planer and then Enya when carving. The music attitude impacts my working attitude, if that makes sense.
    I like most all music but am forever tied to Classic Rock and the Beatles(from my era).

Jim

That pretty well describes me. The music affects my work. For "rock" I'm stuck in the British Invasion era through the mid-70's.

I do also listen to other types of music including Broadway musicals.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Mostly (50%) bluegrass and old-time clawhammer banjo (just set the player to shuffle songs from the 4-500 CDs I have). Everything from the earliest days of recorded music to folks playing the current festival circuit. Fairground organ music is probably second (unless I just crank up the organ in the driveway (see www.carouselorgan.com)). Occasional days of big band, polkas, classical focused on Mozart/Beethoven, and Grateful Dead. On Sunday afternoon the Metropolitan Opera broadcast. Almost never anything identifiable as pop/rock. Not that I don't like it, there's just so much more appealing music out there.

Personally, I like NPR in the garage. My wife got me into podcasts, as well.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

who ISN'T tied to the Beatles? I'm still amazed that they could write some of that stuff at that time. At the risk of starting a Sawstopesque debate, I think McCartney had all the talent. Lennon just had the glasses and persona.

In any era, it's hard to beat Sinatra.
    It's not shop music. But it's the ultimate "classic".
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    . At the risk of starting a Sawstopesque debate, I think McCartney had all the talent. Lennon just had the glasses and persona.
    McCartney was the voice of the band, and his continuing popularity long after they split is demonstrable proof of Sir Paul's amazing talent. But John Lennon made a real and enduring contribution to the songs that everyone loves and remembers from the Beatles. John was never the performer (certainly not the vocalist) that Paul was. But he was an amazingy talented songwriter. And I say this as a huge fan of John Lennon.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-11-2015 at 3:11 PM.

I love me some "Just Like Starting Over" and "Watching the Wheels" but all the songs Lennon wrote were fairly straightforward. Honesty, boldness, and raw emotion, I'll give you, but not sophisticated song writing. I mean, Lennon never wrote a "Hey Jude" or "Black Bird". Lennon was pure rock and roll. McCartney was pure genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I love me some "Just Like Starting Over" and "Watching the Wheels" but all the songs Lennon wrote were fairly straightforward. Honesty, boldness, and raw emotion, I'll give you, but not sophisticated song writing. I mean, Lennon never wrote a "Hey Jude" or "Black Bird". Lennon was pure rock and roll. McCartney was pure genius.
    That's why they worked so well together my friend. They were an unstoppable pair. Personally, I never liked anything that either wrote alone after the breakup better than what they wrote together.

Blog Entries
    A Day in the Life isn't sophisticated?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"