Thread: Lateral adjustments in LN #62

Lateral adjustments in LN #62

I recently purchased a LN 62 to use for both general smoothing and for handling trickier grain (with the 50 deg. blade). The workmanship is fantastic, and it is a beautiful piece of "industrial jewelry." One issue I have, though, is getting the blade square to the sole. Even though they are fiddly, I've been able to use the Stanley lateral adjuster lever and the LV Norris style adjuster with good results. I've done a search, and read about using finger pressure or tapping the side of the blade with a tiny hammer, but I'm looking for direct input from those of you here who have experience with planes that lack mechanical means of adjustment and have gotten good and relatively easy results. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Howdy Kevin,

Some of my first chisel handles had problems. One broke at the socket but it looked so nice I wanted to do something with it. I turned the end down and made a head out of piece of lignin vitae.

#6 Lateral Adjuster.jpg

This has become my plane adjusting hammer. Many folks like a brass head. I have thought of making one, but so far this one, or a piece of scrap if I don't feel like walking a few steps to the shelf to fetch it, works fine.

Since it was made I have done some very slight adjustments to the handle with a gouge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Go to 5:30, watch until about 7:30. Then do this with your plane. It's pretty much what I do with my woodies and any plane I have with no lateral.

Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    Another method I employ is the look of the blade, mouth and adjustable plate. If the blade and the edge of the adjustable plate are parallel, at least with my LN #62, I know the lateral setting is very close to being right.

Some of my other planes have little quirks of which I have become able to use in the same way.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the input and tips, that's great. Also, if a picture is worth a thousand words, the video is worth 100,000! I'm looking forward to getting back into the shop to try this out.

Loosen the tension on the brass lever cap just enough to be able to move the iron from side to side with your fingers. Turn the plane over and adjust the iron laterally so the cutting edge is parallel with the edge of the mouth plate. Lightly tighten the tension screw again and adjust the depth of cut while taking some shavings with the plane. Also be sure to watch the LN video recommended above.