Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Do In The Shop When Not Up To Major Project?

What Do You Do In The Shop When Not Up To Major Project?

Like the title asks,what do you do in the shop when not up to a major project? I tend to do tool maintenance if time and energy are in short supply. With a little more time and some energy I build small candle boxes for gifts and "Thank You's". Especially if I haven't cut any dovetails in a while.

It is a good use of scraps and time, and as far as I can tell most folks like 'em. Sometimes the wood combinations get a little weird, usually those I give to MsBubba to store stuff out in her Studio.

Today, was the last of three days off, Hi Ho it's off to work I go tomorrow,Yippie. Truth is I enjoy work, I just wish sometimes there was just a little less enjoyment. Anyway, Bubba cut to the chase, there was not enough time to start in on the Sofa Table joinery and just about every tool in the shop had been sharpened over the last couple of days so fall back position is to make a box.

Digging through the scraps I found some QS Sycamore I had used to make a back panel for a failed project that were the perfect size for a small box. Along with the Sycamore I found a piece of Red Oak big enough for the lid and a small Cherry cut off for the base. A few hours later, after Indian for lunch, a short visit to the wood store for coffee, some doggie butt scratching and belly rubbing I had a box. It's good to have a few days off in a row.

These boxes are a good time to try different tools, I used a different cutting gauge to mark the base line this time....It didn't work as well as I would like on the soft Sycamore and left some honking base lines. Oh well, I guess it kinda shows the dovetails were hand cut.

ken

Blog Entries
    Ken, a provocative question what to do with limited shop time?

For me, usually: cleaning the shop (which means the shop vac versus my usual Broom/dustpan), building tools/shop appliances that only have the vaguest possible chance of being used, sorting the piles of tiny scraps that "I don't know, maybe I could use this for a drawer knob/door handle", which usually means absolutely too small to be of any value - but I'll keep it anyway as a fire hazard. And finally as a last resort there is always restoring/sharpening the seemingly never ending supply of vintage handsaw's hanging in the rafters. Mind you, I'm not complaining (it's taken years to build a network of garage sale devotees and closets saw aficionados, who generously send these my way), but my eyes and back don't enjoy the work nearly as much as they used to. BTW, if anyone has a request, now is the time to let me know because I am waaaay overdue to tackle the next batch of saws (absolutely not a solicitation, more a recognition of my self-imposed obligation to move these along to the next generation).

BTW I "love" the figure on the QS Sycamore!

Best, Mike

I tend to spend most of my time rehabbing tools and doing very little actual woodworking, so I'd say I spend my time rehabbing tools. Of course, if I had a stash of that sycamore, things might be a bit different. I used that for a panel in a walnut cabinet a while back and it is a gorgeous piece of wood. Can't seem to find it around here.

Thanks, the QS Sycamore is really nice. Wish I had more of it.

Some times when really knackered from work I will just pull up one of the shop stools and sit at the bench with a cup of tea and not do much other than admire the tools and benches. Not that they are special but they are to me. I love my shop.

ken

With the Winter Solstice Celebration coming on us like a run away train I need to get in gear and make some small gifts. Last year it was foot stools and the year before cutting boards, not a clue for this year but it needs to be something that fits in this thread.

ken

Chop wood, carry water (=sweep floors, shapen tools). And sometimes just stand an stare. Not even a cup Of tea as an excuse

I did just get a belated thanks for a walnut spatula givem last holiday season that reminded me the holiday season is coming up.

Good question.

Blog Entries
    I did just get a belated thanks for a walnut spatula givem last holiday season
    Sometimes when this happens to me it seems like a hint.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Nice work!

I'm not quite sure what to do between large projects. I usually start another one in planning as the current one comes to an end.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Beautiful wooden box. I am currently in the midst of building a workbench. When I'm not on a project I like to clean and sharpen things and think about what to build next.

Blog Entries
    When I am "watching glue dry" or "watching finish cure" I work on items that will be used as gifts throughout the year or at Christmas. This way I always have some things on hand when LOML asks "do we have anything for aunt Agnes' 50th wedding anniversary?" . . . two days before the event ;-)

Some ideas / examples -

Cut-Brd-O-I (1).jpg . CB-Inlay-2 (30).jpg

Cuttboard and Trivet (2).jpg . Bevy of Boxes (19).jpg

swap-2 (46).jpg . scrap coaster in holder (3).jpg

Jan's Frames (7).jpg . TylerWeddingFrame (3).jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-12-2015 at 8:43 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

+1 with Mike Allen above.

Beautiful work guys!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    When I am "watching glue dry" or "watching finish cure" I work on items that will be used as gifts throughout the year or at Christmas. This way I always have some things on hand when LOML asks "do we have anything for aunt Agnes' 50th wedding anniversary?" . . . two days before the event ;-)
    Glenn,

Really nice work. At a higher skill level than I can manage when knackered from work but beautiful in both design and execution.

ken

Blog Entries
    No major projects currently. Today I actually went out to the shop to take a break from an inside the house project.

There was a piece of spalted apple sitting on the bench. It has a few cracks but figured it could make an acorn for another cabinet pull.

Picture 12.jpg

Half way through I noticed a little wobble and a not so good sound. The piece was splitting. A piece of twine tied tightly around the far end took care of it long enough to finish.

The hardest part is installing the screw insert.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Was any stain added to the finish of the sycamore box? The lighting in the photo is warm...maybe that explains the darkness of the wood. In any case, I really think that box is handsome even though the woods are a bit of a smorgasbord. They work well together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    Was any stain added to the finish of the sycamore box? The lighting in the photo is warm...maybe that explains the darkness of the wood. In any case, I really think that box is handsome even though the woods are a bit of a smorgasbord. They work well together.
    Mike,

Thanks, Nope no stain, just BLO.

The images are a little warm but close, I used the vise spacer to help set the white balance and it is not a pure white but warmish.

ken