Thread: A "new to me" Clark & Williams plane arrived today

A "new to me" Clark & Williams plane arrived today

In the last batch of planes for sale by Patric Leach I picked up a Clark & Williams smoothing plane. It is a 2002 but appears to have had little use. I've been wanting one for some time and was pleased to find this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow that thing looks perfect, very tight mouth. What angle is the blade bedded?

Blog Entries
    Nice! You have a great collection of woodies!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

It looks to me like their 55 degree smoother. I have had one for many years. You'll love it.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Yes it is at 55 degrees. I would love to hear the story as to why it was for sale, it shows almost no use. When I first tried to use it the blade was sharp but it produced large shavings. After light dressing of the sole it works beautifully. I wonder if the first owner didn't know to dress the sole and gave up on it.

I am honestly really jealous of that plane. I hope to make on some day but to own a Clark & Williams smoother would truly make me a happy woodworker. I am glad you posted this Kieth, I never get tired of seeing these caliber of tools.

Blog Entries
    I want one!

I will have to break out my Steve Knight planes and use them. They certainly do a nice job of it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 11-15-2015 at 7:32 AM.

Blog Entries
    Looks beautiful, congrats! I don't know if the desire here is specifically for a Clark and Williams plane but I would sooner get a double iron coffin smoother from our very own Steve Voigt before a 55 single iron. Not to say that the 55 isn't a great plane.