Thread: Wop application

Wop application

I have been using wop on my turnings, applying it with a paper towel. The paper towel leaves a fuzzy residue and eventually starts falling apart. There must be a better way.

any suggestions?

Dave, I use WOP frequently myself and apply it in the manner you stated. I, however, do not get the fuzzy residue you indicate. I use the blue shop towels for my process. Are you using these types of towels or just standard kitchen towels?
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Yup, have also used blue shop towels without any fuzzy residue issues. However, some time ago I bought several bags of the white "wiping cloths" that most BORGs sell and have been using those for pretty much everything.

Dave - a long time ago I started using makeup sponges (small wedges). They work excellent and leave absolutely nothing behind! You can pick them up at any store where they have beauty products - get the plain ones and not those with additives like vitamin E. They are cheap, are better than great for putting on multiple thin coats of poly and you save lots of time not sanding and reapplying finish! Give them a try - you will not be disappointed!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Blue shop towels work for me

If WOP means wipe on poly, I have had good luck with it.

I typically apply with a piece of cotton cloth (a worn bathrobe). I cut a small square of it (with a curved wiping end) and pull out the loose fibers. So there is perhaps a 1/4 inch where the fibers are all straight, like a paint brush.

I have also applied with an artist brush that is very fine and flexible and is fan shaped. I get them at Michael's. Both work well.

I haven't had any problems with fuzz.

Old t-shirt cut in 2" x 2" (approx) squares. If applying to a piece while turning on lathe, keep the cloth charged with wipe on poly using an eyedropper. - John

I also use old T shirt material, the color of the T short doesn't matter, I go to Salvation Army or Goodwill resale stores and buy the T shorts for 99 cents. You will find their used T shirts are really to good to cut up, but it s cheaper than buying new T shirt material at Hancock's.

I use cheesecloth to apply WOP and it seems to work great for me..

I use the blue shop towels as well (I don't usually use normal kitchen-type paper towels for anything finish related). That said, the makeup pad idea sounds interesting, and I might have to try it.

I'm a recent convert to the make up sponges.

The Borgs sell boxes or bags of painter's rags, which are cut up T-shirt material. I use these generally and save the wiping cloths for situations in which I'm having a problem. The make up sponges are intriguing.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Dave - a long time ago I started using makeup sponges (small wedges). They work excellent and leave absolutely nothing behind! You can pick them up at any store where they have beauty products - get the plain ones and not those with additives like vitamin E. They are cheap, are better than great for putting on multiple thin coats of poly and you save lots of time not sanding and reapplying finish! Give them a try - you will not be disappointed!
    I looked on ebay and (at first) only saw some egg shaped makeup sponges. Then I added the key word "wedge" and found what I think that you're using. Yes, they look good. Here is one link (of several) for this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wonder-Wedge...Mbk49Z9peSKc0g

If you buy the smallest quantity they cost about 12 cents each. If you buy the largest quantity they are about 6 cents each.

Next time I'm at the dollar store, I'm going to see if they are stocked there....