Thread: The phase 2 project(s) completed finally (picture heavy)

The phase 2 project(s) completed finally (picture heavy)

Howdy All,
    It's been a while since I posted. A little over a year ago, I posted this project http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...d-tool-project as phase 1. I finally got phase 2 finished, although totally different than originally planned - it was to be a walkway connecting to a second deck.

The realized phase 2 is a pergola that covers a 12x16 slab, a wee small deck for the back door, and a mono-stringer stair for the phase 1 deck. I post this in the Neader section since the wood working is almost all (>98%) done by beer powered tools, and even the jig and circular saw were propelled by West Sixth IPA when used. Whew, I am glad it is finished. I still need to find some white oak 2x12 treads for the stairs to get rid of the treated SYP.

The pergola is all treated SYP - it has 8x8 posts, 6x8 beams, and 4x6 sun joists. The small deck is 6x6 and 4x6 framing, 2x4 dovetailed joists, and decking left over from the phase 1 project. I built it in the garage over the winter and carried it around and dropped it into post holes once spring arrived. I learned a good bit on layout using center lines, dividers, plumb bobs, and levels - essentially timber framing with crooked timbers. There is a current thread on Narex chisels - I can attest that they are good chisels. I used a 1.5" bevel edge chisels as a mortising/framing chisel and the 2" as a paring chisel - they get sharp and hold the edge a good long time all while being aggresively used. The 1.5" chisel took a beating mostly in stride - it'll need a new hoop someday. I put the rest of the pics in a second post.

R/
    William
    00.JPG01.JPG02.JPG03.jpg04.JPG05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg

Phase 2 project(s) - the rest of the pictures

The rest of the pictures....

09.jpg08.JPG10.jpg11.JPG12.JPG13.jpg14.JPG

That is highly awesome work!

Well done. I really like the end grain caps/flashing, a smart move.

Looks great. I also have a plans to make a free standing pergola and yours is very inspiring.

Thanks for the positive comments Gents. I have found the timber frame genre very pleasing to the eye. The design dimensions were influenced by the "by hand and eye" book and others like it and are proportional. The comments from folks standing in it are that it "feels good" but when questioned they can't really say why. I think it is at least partly due to the proportional design. These same folks do notice the lack of bolts and metal hardware and comment positively on it. I think the skills developed on this project are directly transferable to smaller works. Feel free to use the design.

r/
    William

Blog Entries
    That's VERY impressive. I always think to myself that one day, if I build a out door deck and roof for a place that I own myself, I'll have to do some real Japan style Joinery, sure beats the socks off anything you need an impact drill to accomplish.. well done William!

Thanks Mathew - there is a hint of Japanese influence in the joinery - good eye

Very nicely done both proportionally and carpentry. Did you drill and chop or just chop the mortises. How did you shape your posts, they look great.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous work!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks James. The through mortises: bore from both sides w/ 1" auger and then pare/chop to clean it up. Blind mortises for braces were chopped - it took less time than boring and cleaning up. The octagonal posts: lines snapped off the centerline, a scoring cut with a std. Circular saw, finish with a hand saw, plane to suit; chamfer stops were chiseled.
    R/
    William
    Last edited by william sympson; 11-18-2015 at 10:45 AM.