Thread: Fire Place Mantels

Fire Place Mantels

I have built several mantels over the years and I always have that concern about them getting to hot. I have felt at some of them and they are to hot to keep your hand on them for very long. How hot do you think to hot is?

If the masonry is done right and at least the code distance width around fire box I would think the mantle would be safe .
    cant remember if there is a minimum mantle height. How wide is the mantle? I guess it would be possible for one real deep to get too much heat.

The fireplace manufacturer usually provides the required distances from combustible material in their manual. They require certain distances around (and especially above) before you can have wood.

I have this one fireplace that they installed it in the wall to high off the floor I am setting the mantel 10 " above the fireplace more than that then it would be to high for her. The mantel is 7 1/2" deep

That sounds too close ,if I remember right. You need 8 inches from fire box for ONE inch of projection. The one inch is often exceeded some, but I would not exceed by that much.

The building codes in most areas have specifications for how close to the fireplace opening combustibles are allowed to be built. Look up your local codes!

My fireplace insert installation instructions spelled out the necessary clearances for combustion-able material. My mantle does not get anywhere near as warm as you have described. I have the high efficiency fireplace and it will get hot and stay hot for a long time.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Here's the NFPA guideline, which is what most building codes rely on (but check with your local authority):

WCejA.gif

I spoke to client today told him I would not install unless I could get more clearance
    I got him to see it my way Thanks.

I had an insert for many years and slowly built a wall of cabinets around it and eventually put a mantle on the fireplace/insert. It got WAY too hot so we had to stop using the insert. However, I knew that my insert, way back when, was available with a fan and I felt that might help throw the heat out further into the room and not get the mantle so hot.

So I go back to the place I bought the insert from and we get the fan ordered. They come out to install the fan and see that my firebox is cracked and needs replaced. Thankfully, it has a lifetime warranty (on the part that cracked...the firebox). So as we are going through the replacement, we come to find out that the new inserts all come with blowers anyway so we didn't need to buy one! Cool. And we took advantage of the situation to upgrade the aesthetic features of the insert to get a fresh new look.

At the end of all of it, we basically have a brand new insert, fresh look, with a blower and a newer/better remote...and all for around $300 installed. AND the blower completely solved the mantle getting too hot as I hoped. Sometimes you do win.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I follow building codes or manufacture recommendations which ever is greater. Had one manufacture specify 18"minimum above the firebox......can't recall who it was so 18" was my number despite the cries of my customer. At that point, it pays to be creative with design.

I had an of-duty fireman come to clean my chimney once and he told me that I needed (code) 18" clearance top of fireplace to bottom of mantle here in the Austin Tx area.
    David