Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Toy Making - buying parts?

Hobby Lobby is where I've always found what I needed.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I think you will find that flat wheels made with a hole saw will reduce the quality look of your toys. There are wheel making bits you can buy for use on a drill press, but believe me when I tell you they don't work that well and you will have to cut 3-4 times as many as you actually complete to get the same look you can buy for a few pennies each.

I'm currently making 36 toy tractors for my niece's wedding next year and I looked high and low for bar tread tractor type tires close to the size I needed. I couldn't find any that looked good, so I came up with a jig to make what I wanted. I have 18 pairs made so far and have more than 4 hours in them. For front wheels and axles, I plan to purchase them.
    Attachment 316468
    I used to belong to a club that made hundreds of toys for charity each year. Often I made hundreds of wheels for a special size or special look, like the big wheels on the tractor shown in the picture. I used a home made "router lathe". One afternoon I made 300 of these tractor wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    Being a farmer myself that is a nice looking tractor. Care to elaborate on how you made the back tires or is it a trade secret? Thanks Jared
    Here you go.
    Tractor wheel jig
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cameron View Post
    I used to belong to a club that made hundreds of toys for charity each year. Often I made hundreds of wheels for a special size or special look, like the big wheels on the tractor shown in the picture. I used a home made "router lathe". One afternoon I made 300 of these tractor wheels.
    All right! 'Wheels Cameron' knows what he's talking about. We really miss his wheel-making ability. Actually we miss having him around for several reasons.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio
    any images of what these tractor wheels looked like?