Thread: Weekend Gloat-Completed Dresser

Weekend Gloat-Completed Dresser

I just finished my first piece of the bedroom series I designed and had to post a little gloat. It's also what I consider to be my very first furniture piece. Feels really good to have it done! It was a hybrid approach, with dovetails on all the drawers being hand cut. I did solid wood drawer bottoms leaving room for wood movement. Attached the top with shrinkage buttons, and made the center mount drawer runners from quartersawn white oak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There's a lot to be proud of there! The dovetails look perfect.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Very nice indeed. Love the contrasting wood choices. Did you do the pulls? What's your finishing protocol?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Very nice indeed. Love the contrasting wood choices. Did you do the pulls? What's your finishing protocol?
    The pulls are from lee valley. If you look at the side view you can see the curves legs. I found pulls that have a curved shape like the legs, I selected the hardware to try and compliment the curved legs. The inside of the case and drawers were finished with 5 coats of a 75:25 blend of shellac and alcohol. The. Outside I used Trans tint die on the walnut to get a consistent color. The cherry received 2 coats of diluted shellac. All of the outside pieces got 5 coats of oil based polyurethane diluted with mineral spirits in a ratio of 75:25. Let the varnish sit for 10 minutes and then wiped the excess off. Let each coat of varnish sit for 24 hours, and lightly hand sanded with 320 grit between coats.

Wow!!! Excellent design and craftsmanship-you should be proud!