Thread: Corner Cabinet Design - Input Appreciated

Corner Cabinet Design - Input Appreciated

This is the basic design of a corner cabinet I want to make to go at the end of two runs of couches where they meet at 90 degrees.

Couch%u0025252520Concept3.jpg

Sorry, but I don't know how to post larger images. Hopefully, you can still see that the left side is a cabinet about 12 x 12" with a drawer and door. On the right is an end and partial back. The two sections are connected by a base, open shelves and the top. Overall, it's about 26 x 26 x 25-3/4" H. I have some very nice walnut that I was thinking of using for the vertical elements and some ambrosia maple (including a slab that I could potentially use for the top) that I was thinking about for the horizontal parts. But the cabinet itself is very plain and I don't know if the wood itself is going to bring it to life or it's going to look like something from IKEA. I could make the vertical elements frame and panel but that doesn't seem to fit the modern design.

Given the overall size that it needs to fit into, got any ideas on ways to improve or revamp the design, wood, etc.? Thanks in advance for any input/ideas you have.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Put it up on the 3D Warehouse and let us Sketchup users have at it. Before you do, download couches from the warehouse into the model, that look about like what you have, and place them in the arrangement. Upload the whole thing, cabinet and couches.

John, I gather the shelves, drawer and door are accessed on the outside corner?

I like the idea for the top but that cabinet not so much. I would at the very least ditch the base with its toe kick space. Go straight down to the floor with the case.

The case really doesn't appeal to me all that much. I'd be inclined to maybe do something a bit more open. Does the couch on the right back up to a wall?

Looks like you've provided enough info for someone else to draw it up. Maybe I'll try a variation on it.