Thread: Wax Coating on Ebony Blank

Wax Coating on Ebony Blank

Hey folks,

I have a small piece of truly black ebony,approx. 3" x 3/4" x 30". I bought it at Woodcraft about 15 years ago and haven't touched it since. I am thinking of using some of it for accents on a new cabinet, but it has a very heavy wax coating all over it. I would need to somehow shave the wax off and I am looking for ideas how. I have heard that this is a common way ebony is presented. Anyone have any experience with this? How did you get rid of the wax? I am reluctant to have the wax gum up my planer knives etc.

Thanks in advance folks. I really appreciate all the help!

Joe

Card scraper for most of it and then mineral spirits.

Jim

Blog Entries
    I do as Jim suggests. I have a half a dozen waxed billets setting around at any given time. When I prep one for use I clamp it in a vise and card scrap the bulk of the wax off. I will then take a gray non-woven pad and some mineral spirits to finish it up.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    You could also use a plane to take a few fine shavings instead of mineral spirits once you've got most if it off with a scraper or a chisel

Jim, Glenn, and Matt

Perfect! Exactly the kind of response I was looking for. I have my card scrapers all sharpened up and ready to attack me some ebony! Thanks guys!

Joe

For small billets like that, I use my table saw. I adjust it to take a very small cut on each face. If the wax is not removed with the first pass, I readjust the fence and take another swipe.

Dark black ebony is extremely expensive these days. Last stuff I saw was almost $100 a board foot.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'd love to see a picture of the wood if you wouldn't mind. I may not get to handle ebony too terribly much.

Hey Mike,

When I get home from work tomorrow night I will snap a few pics and post here. It's not that much to look at - until you start to look at other pieces of what is being called ebony these days. It is solid black. You can't see grain or any figure at all unless you are right on it. That is the appeal. I bought this billet 13 years or so ago at a Woodcraft back north of Boston (in Woburn Ma, purported to be the very first Woodcraft. I don't think it's there any more). Anyway, it is 3/4" thick x 3" wide or so x 25" long and I paid $50.00 for it that long ago.

Joe

Thanks Joe! Looking forward to it.