Thread: Drawer bottom sizing.

Drawer bottom sizing.

I'm building drawers for my kitchen cabinets and I have a quick question about sizing the bottoms. I know when constructing raised panels it is advisable to allow for movement and undersize the width and height of the panel a bit and let if float in the rails and stiles. But what about the drawer bottom? Sides and bottom are plywood so I don't expect any significant movement but do I still need to let the bottom float at all? I've read accounts that some people actually glue their bottoms into the dado of the sides, fronts and rears. What is the best method?

Details: 12mm BB sides, dadoed with slots 1/4" deep and 1/2 tall to accept 12mm BB bottoms. Bottoms recessed 1/2 up to allow use of Blum Tandem with Blumotion slides.

Thanks,

Stuart

It is Not necessary to float a ply bottom. I also put a bead of hot melt glue around the underside just to make sure it never rattles. If you want to glue it in that's ok too. I make them 1/32or so undersized just to be sure that the corners go together tight. Also I like to use 1/4"mdf core because it is quite a bit stiffer than 14/" veneer core.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    It is Not necessary to float a ply bottom. I also put a bead of hot melt glue around the underside just to make sure it never rattles. If you want to glue it in that's ok too. I make them 1/32or so undersized just to be sure that the corners go together tight. Also I like to use 1/4"mdf core because it is quite a bit stiffer than 14/" veneer core.
    I like the idea of the hot glue, thanks.

Looks like we have some really nasty weather coming thru tonight Steve, batten down the hatches. (I'm just south of Denton.)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    +1 for the 1/4" mdf core; it is nice stuff. I use it also for the panels in paint-grade shaker doors.

I also undercut them by a heavy 1/32" but I don't bother gluing them in.
    - Mike