Thread: Planers and Jointers

Planers and Jointers

I'm getting involved in woodworking again and need some help choosing tools. I've got a TS, router, and CMS in my garage workshop. I'd like to buy either a planer and jointer. I've never worked with planers and jointers on a regular basis. I've been looking at models like the Delta 22-580 and Dewalt 735 finish planers in the $350-$500 range. I've also been looking at the 6" Delta 37-195 jointer in the $500 range. I'll be building my own infeed/outfeed tables to help with snipe.

I plan to build some bedroom furniture from solid rough cherry (4/4, 6/4, 8/4) that I can buy for $1.25-1.50/bf. Some of the cherry will be up to 12" wide. I may also be running some black walnut if I decide to harvest a tree or two. From what I've read and experienced first hand, I know that you can't rely on S4S for furniture. I'd like to stay under $1000 for both tools. I'm willing to look at most any brand to get a good tool.

What planer and jointer would you suggest for a novice on a budget of $1000?

With $1,000 to work with, my advice would be go for an 8-inch jointer and one of the lesser expensive benchtop planers. The 8-inch jointer would eat up the lion's share of your budget, but some reasonably priced ones can be had from Wilke and Grizzly that would leave you with enough cash left over for the planer. You won't ever regret getting an 8-inch jointer over a 6-incher.

Jon,
    How does the finish on the "8 jointers compare with the finish planers? Do you have any suggestions on a good 8" jointer at a max of $800? I know the 8" typically come with longer tables and more powerful motors. Are there any other big advantages?

I think that most of the wood I surface will be 8" and under but I will need something to handle the larger boards every now and then. Thanks in advance!

I have the Delta 22-580 planer and love it. The dust hood that Delta sells is garbage, IMHO, however. I let the chips fly and sweep 'em up.

As to jointers, I have the Jet 6" and it works very well. There are times I would like a bigger machine(rip/joint/glue gets old.....fast), and others(mostly when I bang my knee on the infeed table), that I'm happy with what I have. I think if I had the money, I would go for the Grizz 8", though there may be some who disagree with me. I think you could find both the Grizz 8" and the Delta 22-580 for your budget. I suspect you'd be happy with both machines.

Best,
    Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=500><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Dick,

I have the Delta's 6" 37-275X Jointer. It is a good machine in a lot of ways. No problems with fit and finish and the overall quality is fine. The power at one horsepower is adequate for whatever hardwoods I can fit through it. But it was a mistake for me to think because most of my work could fit through a 6" jointer it would be large enough to safety and easily handle what I needed to do with it.

Where it falls short for me is using it for larger stock. This weekend I was jointing one edge of two 10"x72"x3" slabs for a workbench. A few weeks before that it was a 3"x6"x60" laminated beam for another project. At 46" table is just too short to easily handle stock of this size even with a roller stand and a separate outfeed table. Also because it is mounted on a mobile base, more often than I would like the jointer moves a little when jointing larger pieces.

Personally I would look at the Grizzly 8"x65" G1018HW which at $595.00 and at 451lbs shipping weight is an excellent machine. I have only heard good things about this model. Even with shipping it would leave you with more than enough to get a good lunch box planer that would meet your needs.

Hope this helps,

Lloyd Morris

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Last edited by lloyd morris; 08-31-2005 at 6:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss
    Jon,
    How does the finish on the "8 jointers compare with the finish planers? Do you have any suggestions on a good 8" jointer at a max of $800? I know the 8" typically come with longer tables and more powerful motors. Are there any other big advantages?

I think that most of the wood I surface will be 8" and under but I will need something to handle the larger boards every now and then. Thanks in advance!
    Two choices that come to mind are the Yorkcraft from Wilke (http://www.wilkemachinery.com/Yorkcr...25571313128658 or a couple ones available from Grizzly right now http://www.grizzly.com/. They run about $600 plus shipping. I think you'll find the finish you achieve with a jointer is dependent on the proper adjustment of the machine as well as operator technique. With sharp knives and light passes, any of the benchtop planers should give you an excellent finish on most woods. If you end up getting "chatter" marks with your jointer (this is common for a number of reasons), they can always be cleaned up with one light pass through the planer. Hope this helps...Jon

Thanks for all of your help!