Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial or metric?

Imperial or metric?

For those of you in the US, do you measure using an imperial ruler or tape, or go with metric?

Having grown own up with imperial, I can visualize a project that calls for a piece that is 8 inches long, as well as 5 feet 8 inches long. However, having to add something like 2 5/12 inches to 3 7/8 inches makes me head spin. This is where is see the metric system making a ton of sense.

So, what do you all do?

Blog Entries
    I grew up with both imperial and Metric. I can use either. I typically use imperial as that is what the tools around here are found. There are pros and cons to both (or maybe it is always a compromise). Neither work well when dividing by 3.
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 11-16-2015 at 9:30 PM. Reason: fixed poor phrasing
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    As a 55 year old brought up through to grade 11 or 12 with the Imperial system, I continue to use Imperial.
    Metric doesn't do it for me, but on paper, I can see its advantages.
    Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I grew up with both imperial and Metric. I can use either. I typically use imperial as that is what the tools around here are found.
    +1. I'm comfortable in either but use imperial.

If you need to divide Imperial measures by three which are too fine to do so nicely, get a DTP pica/points ruler (6 picas per inch, 12 points per pica, makes it simple to divide to 1/72nd of an inch) — don’t get an old printer’s rule though, they use measures such as 72.27 points per inch, depending on country of origin.

Blog Entries
    Most of my work is in inches and feet. I may have a ruler that has divisions of 1/12". Twelfths of an inch are not a regular designation used in most common drawings. It is usually architectural drawings that use a scale of 1" = 1'.

I have used metric. Mostly when working on vehicles.

If one really wants to get on without it mattering, use a story stick and stop worrying about putting numbers on the measurements.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I went totally metric in my shop several years ago, first few months I had to mentally convert back and forth but that need soon went away. The biggest advantage is far, far fewer measuring mistakes are made, I can't think of the last time I screwed up a measurement. Back in the foot, yard, and stone days I made 'em almost daily. Fractional vs. metric tools really make no never mind, if you use a metric chisel to chop a mortise you mark the tenon off the chisel, mixed tools have never been a problem.

ken

I'm sure I could cut on the wrong side of 40mm as easily as on the wrong side of 36". Metric is a the creation of a problem to serve as a solution to a problem that did not exist.

Imperial. Millimeters don't seem precise enough to me and I don't know that I've ever seen a metric rule marked in smaller increments.

"Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    I'm sure I could cut on the wrong side of 40mm as easily as on the wrong side of 36". Metric is a the creation of a problem to serve as a solution to a problem that did not exist.
    Oh yes, the problem does exist! I face it every time I'm trying to communicate a measurement on this forum. The USA is the last country in the world using imperial. So, as long as you recognise that the world is larger then good old America, then you have to acknowledge that there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    Imperial. Millimeters don't seem precise enough to me and I don't know that I've ever seen a metric rule marked in smaller increments.
    Charles,

Now you have seen two. Those were just the ones that were handy when I walked up to the bench, there are many more in the shop.

Let's see, 0.5mm is about 0.02". 0.02" is a good bit less than 1/32", is that precise enough for you?

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 11-17-2015 at 4:46 PM.

Kees,

What's ironic is even Imperial UK for the most part has gone metric, although the in-laws still give their weight in stones.

I drive to work on I-19 which is the only metric signed road in the USA and every time I do it is a reminder of a missed opportunity.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    The USA is the last country in the world using imperial.
    All the more reason to stay that way.

Actually, if you want to get technical, the U.S.A uses "United States customary units" which in most cases is nearly identical to Imperial, but Imperial is the old British standard.
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Let's see, 0.5mm is about 0.02". 0.02" is a good bit less than 1/32", is that precise enough for you?
    Touché Pussy Cat! Still, I guess it's all in what you're used to. I learned far more about fractions and decimals from woodworking than I ever did in math class.

- Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Oh yes, the problem does exist! I face it every time I'm trying to communicate a measurement on this forum. The USA is the last country in the world using imperial. So, as long as you recognise that the world is larger then good old America, then you have to acknowledge that there is a problem.
    So I guess the two types of measurement systems would be the one that worked well enough to send a man to the moon, and then metric. I'm having trouble seeing the problem.