Thread: Are you using Japanese saws for resawing?

Are you using Japanese saws for resawing?

If you are using Japanese saws for resawing, which ones and what is your proceedure? Thanks in advance.
    Jim

I'm going to regret asking this I think....should I be? I often loathe resawing with western saws but I'm pretty sure it has always been the most laborious task.

Blog Entries
    There is a fellow on Chris Hall's board, Paul Atzenweiler, who resaws with Japanese saws. If you look him up he might be able to help you out.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have a handful of times and the says haven't felt limiting in any way, though I use only Japanese saws, so I'm ignorant. But OP, your questions make me think I'm missing something. To kinda echo Mike above, why are you asking?

I had a couple of small off cuts of hard maple about 3x4 inches with a squirrelly grain pattern laying on the bench. I thought they would make an interesting small box. I desired to resawing to get 4 sides. I wasn't up to going to the garage to get a saw out of my job box (bad back). I had a gyokucho 240 ryoba on the bench and decided to give it a try. I was surprised at how well it worked. Took maybe 10 minutes per block and very clean compared to my past performances. Standing up straight no real strain on the back. So it just got me to wondering so I thought I would ask my expert consultants for advice.
    Jim

Well, I had to resaw a piece of 4/4 cherry that was about 9"wide by 24" long and it took me half an hour tops. Most of that time was spent fussing with my front vice that needs some attention, but I digress. This might be one of those deals where the most efficient tool is the one your most comfortable with. I am quite comfortable with a western style handsaw.

You mentioned your posture while resawing and I couldn't help but wonder if the fact that you cut on the pull stroke with Japanese saws allows a more relaxed and vertical position. I get into quite an aggressive position when I'm ripping, resawing, and dovetailing. Although I look aggressive while dovetailing, I'm actually quite gentle, it's just the position that enables me to move my sawing arm in a straight-ish line back and forth.

Thanks Mike you are right about this being partly bad back driven. I have not seen much about resawing with Japanese saws unless it is about one of those monsters that look like a weapon. I was just experimenting and realize that I was most likely using a saw too small for the job. It did work well enough that I will continue to experiment using more appropriate tools.
    Jim