Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chess - King Finial help

Chess - King Finial help

Hi all,
    It's been a while since I posted but I've been snagged. My problem is, not understanding the order in which I should turn the finial for my King.
    Here's some pics.

King broken cross.JPG King broken cross (2).JPG King broken cross (3).JPG

Such trouble, I've had two attempts, and whilst the second was much better, only in the fact that it didn't fall apart.

Such trouble in fact, I changed shape just to get it done. I want to try and match the stimulus picture that i started with (below).

New shape (cool but not happy)
    King Spike.JPG King Spike (2).JPG

Original idea that i'm trying to stay true to.
    Jazzy_chess_set_w_1500.jpg

I've only the knights and the finial for the kings to go.

Here are some picture of the other pieces:

Pawns (some wobbly ones in there)
    Chess 6.jpg

Rook (very happy with these)
    Chess rook 1.JPG

more pictures to come.
    Steven Thomas

Bishops (pretty happy)
    Bishop and others.JPG

Queen (white ones are better)
    Queen with BRP.JPG

Also shot plenty of other pictures too, even filmed a pawn and took time-lapse shots. (see below)

Anyway, how would you go about turning the Finial for the King in the set pictured? Any ideas will be more than i got.

Bishop Time-lapse. (5 minutes)
    https://youtu.be/EK-XFhZsgIU

Thanks in advance for any help on the finial...
    Steven Thomas

I know, not what you're looking for but thought you'd enjoy the video of someone else making chess pieces. You probably don't do it quite the same as this guy though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA

Think turning the profile in the round, then take to bandsaw and cut the flats.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Rutherford View Post
    Think turning the profile in the round, then take to bandsaw and cut the flats.
    I was thinking the same... or perhaps even sand the flats into place. That won't create the hole in the middle, and I think you'd have difficulty creating the deep cove on the sides, but those could all be done after creating the flats with a drill press, perhaps...

I see a band saw in my future.
    Thanks I'll give it a try.
    Steven Thomas

My first thought, Steve, would to do as Dwight recommended. Another option would be to sand or bandsaw the flat sides and carve the details with a small Dremel tool.

BTW, your chess pieces look great so far

A scroll saw would be the perfect tool for the finial. Drill a small hole in a square blank the same size as the hole in the top of your chess piece. Cut the finial shape out of the square blank, then sand and finish the finial. Finally, use an appropriately sized dowel to join the finial to the chess piece.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Don't forget the tiny bead on the top.

The problem I see with turning this in one piece is the extreme undercut above the lower bead. Very difficult to turn cleanly.

Me, with just a few of these to make - I'd make it in three pieces and join with tiny tenons. The flat top piece could be carved after the center hole is drilled in a protective sandwich. It might look better if the flat surfaces were made slightly convex (after creating the profile) and polished to catch the light.

Unless the goal is to counterfeit, seems to me there is a lot of room for artistic license.

Jazzy_king_cu.jpg

JKJ

Am I the only one who noticed the bare feet in the time-lapse video??

You'll regret doing that the first time a chisel drops pointy-end down. I've got a scar on my toe and a 3/4" long cut in a pair of sneakers; I suspect the toe would be a lot shorter but for the sneakers...

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    Am I the only one who noticed the bare feet in the time-lapse video??

You'll regret doing that the first time a chisel drops pointy-end down. I've got a scar on my toe and a 3/4" long cut in a pair of sneakers; I suspect the toe would be a lot shorter but for the sneakers...
    I noticed too, but I'm a bit embarrassed to say the safety issues just flew right past me...

Guilty on the safety. Although, i did catch my chuck on my foot the other day, on purpose though, I have a habit of sticking my foot out like a reflex to soften the blow on the concrete. :-(
    Steven Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Thomas View Post
    Guilty on the safety. Although, i did catch my chuck on my foot the other day, on purpose though, I have a habit of sticking my foot out like a reflex to soften the blow on the concrete. :-(
    Those chucks are expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Craven View Post
    Those chucks are expensive!
    I thought he was trying to protect the concrete, not the chuck!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona