Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small Wood Stock Smoothing Planes

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hart View Post
    Ken, I wish my mama would make a play date with your mama so I could play with all your tools...toys
    Chuck,

Winter is a great time to be in the desert, come on by anytime:-).

BTW, being a toolaholic has both its upside and down. Lots of toys to play with when you do not feel like doing anything productive, you usually have the needed tool somewhere (if you can find it), when you can't it is just an AmEx away. The down: Lots of toys to play with when you should be productive, storing and finding 'em, and every time the UPS girl shows up MsBubba gives me "the look".

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    This is my wooden smoother. It is a newer Nooitgedagt body with a much older Nooitgedagt iron. The new plane was pretty badly manufactured. The rear end was squarish, so I transformed that into the English coffin shape. The new iron was a thin parallel one with a very soft edge. The plane also had a huge mouth and badly finished details where the abutments end in the wear. The old iron fits a lot better and with some attention to the abutments it now feeds very nicely. The plane is now perfect.
    Kees,

One of the beauties of woodies, if you can figure out what's wrong it is easy to fix.

ken

Blog Entries
    Great thread Ken!

A bit time consuming to setup initially, but very nice to work with afterward.

I still use my #4 LN alot, but for softer hardwoods this has been my go-to. The kanna will chatter a bit on rock maple if I'm not super careful (38~ degree bed).

The wooden Try plane and jack ruined me as well
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Indeed.

---------------

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Great thread Ken!

A bit time consuming to setup initially, but very nice to work with afterward.

I still use my #4 LN alot, but for softer hardwoods this has been my go-to. The kanna will chatter a bit on rock maple if I'm not super careful (38~ degree bed).

The wooden Try plane and jack ruined me as well
    Brian,

I hate to admit but I've started down that slippery slope as well, not too far along but far enough to see Japanese planes could give great pleasure once I've developed some knowledge. As always with Japanese tools it is the iron that makes them worth the effort.

Here is one of mine on Cherry:

Have a Butcher ironed Ohio Tool Works Coffin smoother...more of a #4 sized plane. The #3 sized one is a little different, though
    block planes.jpgSitting there behind a block plane.
    This is the Liberty Bell No.122
    Liberty Bell.jpg
    Has a finger loop to adjust the depth settings, too.
    side view.jpg

Does anybody have any experience with Crown Planes? Their smoother looks like a very affordable way to try out a wooden plane.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Brian,

I hate to admit but I've started down that slippery slope as well, not too far along but far enough to see Japanese planes could give great pleasure once I've developed some knowledge. As always with Japanese tools it is the iron that makes them worth the effort.

Here is one of mine on Cherry:

Nice! If you get a chance, check out Chris' halls guide on setting up the Kanna. It's a wonderful walk-through and really digs down to the nitty-gritty.

The only thing I've had a really difficult time finding out via the web and books is the mouth opening. I Just set mine as tight as possible where chips would still clear.

Also, because the angle of the dai is so low, I set my chipbreaker at 80 degrees~.

Nice! If you get a chance, check out Chris' halls guide on setting up the Kanna. It's a wonderful walk-through and really digs down to the nitty-gritty.

The only thing I've had a really difficult time finding out via the web and books is the mouth opening. I Just set mine as tight as possible where chips would still clear.

Also, because the angle of the dai is so low, I set my chipbreaker at 80 degrees~.
    Thanks Brian,

I've started reading through the posts, looks like really good info.

I figured I might as well expand the thread to the rest of the woodies. Here are the three prep planes, from top to bottom a ECE double iron Try, a single iron PhillyPlane Jack, and a ECE scrub. I use the machines most of the time if the wood fits but often I will either need to get the wind out or if it is a table top true it. Doing either job with a woodie is much easier than with the #5 and #8. My body thanks me afterwards.

I have a couple of new Try planes coming, one with a double iron and the other a single iron...Once they arrive the ECE will be retired, it and the ECE scrub plane had a hard life, both were stored for many years in a Texas barn while I roamed the world.

ken
    Last edited by ken hatch; 11-20-2015 at 8:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stone View Post
    Does anybody have any experience with Crown Planes? Their smoother looks like a very affordable way to try out a wooden plane.
    Wish I could help you but no experience with the brand. From looking at the web site I would question the construction as to are the planes laminated or one piece. Because of my chosen sharpening system I try to only use HC steel and the Crown planes come with A-2.

BTW, my shop made planes are laminated and for the most part hold up and work fine.

Sorry I couldn't help,

ken

Crown Planes were founded by Leon Robbins in the 1980s. He passed away in 2007. There is a tribute to Leon on Mike Dunbar's blog: http://thewindsorinstitute.com/blog/?p=34

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Absolutely, they make it a joy to plane big panels. You'll have to post up photos of Steve's try planes.

I've got a good photo of my try plane and Jack;

Blog Entries
    This string got me to thinking. They have planes in stock.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com.../products/331/

One can also often find these planes for cheap on ebay. I got primus smoother for about $40 with shipping about a year ago. It is alright, but I prefer No.4 because there is less fiddling.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    This string got me to thinking. They have planes in stock.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com.../products/331/

Absolutely, they make it a joy to plane big panels. You'll have to post up photos of Steve's try planes.

I've got a good photo of my try plane and Jack;
    If only my shop were as organized and neat, but then it wouldn't be my shop . Steve said it would be sometime after the first before he builds my Try. No projected delivery date on the Philly, but from past experience six months or more, it gets here when it gets here. Photos when I get 'em.
    Last edited by ken hatch; 11-20-2015 at 9:58 PM.