Thread: Insert Nut not staying in spruce wood when I use 5 minute epoxy

Insert Nut not staying in spruce wood when I use 5 minute epoxy

I am using threaded inserts that are 1/4 -20 in spruce. They are on the receiving end for a bolt. If I over twist the nut comes loose. What should I do?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/Pag...at=1,180,42334

Not sure how that could happen. Aren't both the outside of the insert and the bolt right hand threads so tightening the bolt would tighten not loosen the insert? What am I missing? Epoxy should prevent the insert from loosening when you remove the bolt. If the epoxy is failing did you allow it to cure long enough? Cure times are affected by temperature, five minutes is probably based on 70 F, colder temperature requires longer cure time. Not sure if cure time is also affected by humidity and moisture content of the wood.

Sorry to ask what may be obvious, but is there enough clearance for the bolt beyond the insert? If it's pushing against wood in a blind hole after passing through the insert, that would cause the insert to lift out.

Use a shorter bolt after letting the epoxy cure overnight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Sorry to ask what may be obvious, but is there enough clearance for the bolt beyond the insert? If it's pushing against wood in a blind hole after passing through the insert, that would cause the insert to lift out.
    Yes, this. I drill the recommended hole size and thread the insert in and they are pretty darn tight. I have never epoxied one and never had one fail(?). Once it has been driven out due to the bolt bottoming out I cuould see epoxy as a fix. 5 minute epoxy is not super strong. Maybe some tougher stuff? E-120HPTM Hysol® Epoxy from loc-tite and other 24 hour cure epoxies are pretty stout.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Is the insert installed from the underside of the wood? Opposite the entry of the bolt. This is how is should be installed so that the tighter you turn the bolt the more the insert is pulled into the wood.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

5 minute epoxy does not cure in 5 minutes, it just sets up in 5 minutes, you will need to let it cure at least overnight, Read the manufacture's litacture. Also, as was already stated, insert the insert so that when you tighten the bolt it tightens the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    Is the insert installed from the underside of the wood? Opposite the entry of the bolt. This is how is should be installed so that the tighter you turn the bolt the more the insert is pulled into the wood.
    Sure you don't mean a blind nut? Not what he's using.

Spruce = musical instrument?
    Might be time, if not an instrument, to use a tee nut on the far side of the panel.
    You won't pull that through your stock.

Comes loose how? Is it lifting out of the hole or spinning in the hole? If lifting out, as was stated, a shorter bolt is needed so it doesn't bottom-out OR drill the hole deeper so that a longer bolt doesn't bottom-out. If it is spinning/stripped within the hole, epoxy is the only thing I can think of to re-secure the insert into the wood. And as stated, give it a day to cure properly. The "5-minute" aspect of such epoxy refers to how long you have to work with it...not how long it cures to reach full strength.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.