Thread: Any thoughts on the CSU ice cream scoop without a ferrule?

Any thoughts on the CSU ice cream scoop without a ferrule?

A couple of years ago I did several ice cream scoops for Christmas gifts for family. I thought I'd do some more this year. I went on the CSU site and ordered several more without really looking at the description- assuming they were the same thing. It wasn't until after I received them did I realize they don't come with a ferrule. I'm really nervous about using these without a ferrule- the 'tang' is a 1" threaded rod. It's not very long. For the pizza cutter it's probably fine, but I envision folks trying to dig out really frozen ice cream and having this thing blow the handle apart. I spent a while walking up and down the isles at a big box home improvement store but I'm having a hard time finding an matching suitable ferrule. I looked at some steel pipe/couplings/washers but they aren't going to match the finish of the scoop.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking it?
    Where did I put that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    A couple of years ago I did several ice cream scoops for Christmas gifts for family. I thought I'd do some more this year. I went on the CSU site and ordered several more without really looking at the description- assuming they were the same thing. It wasn't until after I received them did I realize they don't come with a ferrule. I'm really nervous about using these without a ferrule- the 'tang' is a 1" threaded rod. It's not very long. For the pizza cutter it's probably fine, but I envision folks trying to dig out really frozen ice cream and having this thing blow the handle apart. I spent a while walking up and down the isles at a big box home improvement store but I'm having a hard time finding an matching suitable ferrule. I looked at some steel pipe/couplings/washers but they aren't going to match the finish of the scoop.

Thoughts? Am I overthinking it?
    A couple of thoughts:
    1. on the CSU site several people gave it a 5 star review. So, maybe it isn't that big of an issue.
    2. On one ice cream scoop kit, they mentioned that the tang is threaded as a 3/8 x 16 TPI. I suppose that if a person were equipped for it that you could fabricate a piece of metal such as brass to basically extend the tang, and inside thread one end to accept the tang, make a deep hole (either all the way through or partially through) your handle and epoxy in the fabricated tang "receiver". If done right, the appearance of brass at either one end or both might look nice. Brass polishes very nicely.

3. If your shop isn't equipped to make a threaded brass receiver, you could do something similar by taking a hex coupler (from your local hardware store), 3/8 x 16, and screw in the scoop shaft about half way. The couplers are inside threaded and are typically about an inch long, so maybe you would need to shorten the tang on the scoop a bit (it's . Then thread in a section of a bolt or "all-thread" at the other end to extend the amount nested in the wood. It is possible to drill the deeper hole as a 3/8 inch diameter and the top end of it as something that will accept the hex facets of the coupler. Or, if you're willing to take the time, you could turn down (or file/grind,etc.) the hex coupler into a round cylinder. The negative thing about the coupler is that most that most that you'll find in the local hardware are plated steel and may rust over time. I suppose that the exposed end could be covered by incorporating a wooden or brass piece at the end.

If you search the internet or ebay, you'll find some stainless hex 3/8x16 couplers. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-St...-/350863729718 Brass couplers are less common.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 11-18-2015 at 7:20 PM. Reason: clarify and add

If you want to get a stainless steel ferrule, this is what I'd suggest trying. http://www.viega.us/catalog/en_US/3....eve/32429.html
    The plastic collar piece pops right off and you can see there is a variety of sizes.
    You might be able to purchase individual items at a plumbing supply house if they will sell to you. Alternatively, you can order the sleeves from www.supplyhouse.com
    Search for "Viega press polymer sleeve."

Good luck,

Clint

I think your over thinking it a bit. You will want to use a dense wood anyway to offset the weight of the scoop. I typically use one of the Rosewoods. I did one once with spalted maple and the handle was too light. Just didn't feel right.

You could use a brass pipe connector, pressed onto a turned tenon and turn some beads in the brass with a 3/8" gouge or beading tool. Sand and polish..really looks classy.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    You could use a brass pipe connector, pressed onto a turned tenon and turn some beads in the brass with a 3/8" gouge or beading tool. Sand and polish..really looks classy.
    This was my thought also when reading your predicament, just like making a handle for turning tools. Plus I assume your threading the wood for the scoop's threaded tenon, just like a bottle stopper process, and using epoxy to hold true.

I thought about a copper coupler, that's what I use for my turning tools, but I'm not sure I want the steel scoop and brass ferrule.

I was going to just replace the 'tang' with a longer piece of threaded rod but the part that threads into the scoop is a different thread.

I also bought a ice cream spade from rockler, it's aluminum and no ferrule.

I guess I'll make one for me and see how it holds up. I certainly wouldn't sell one of these (if I were in that business) until I was convinced it was going to hold up.
    Where did I put that?