Thread: Inlay routers Stewart MacDonald / William Ng?

Inlay routers Stewart MacDonald / William Ng?

For those of you that do inlay work and are using one of these small router bases can you fill me in? I just don’t get what the big difference is in these two router bases as they look almost exactly the same but have a $115.00 difference. Yes the WN base has two lights on it but other than that I don’t see much difference? They both can be ordered for a Foredom hand piece. Please let me know your thoughts and your experiences.
    Thanks Richard

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RavV_C9HK2tndg

http://shop.wnwoodworkingschool.com/...?categoryId=-1
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Not to add to your quandry but ....

http://microfence.com/micro-plunge-base-p-274.html

I am not familiar with either base but from what I can gather, the MacDonald was designed primarily for use with the Dremel as noted by the threaded hole. From the website:

Simply unscrew the threaded plastic collar on the nose of the Dremel, and screw on the Precision Router Base. Its 3/4-12 thread fits:
    Dremel 4000, 400XPR, Professional, MultiPro™ and most corded models made since 1986
    • Black & Decker Wizard™ and RTX™
    • Our Foredom custom handpiece

Use with a Foredom seems to require an adapter (the Foredom custom handpiece) which they sell but brings the price difference closer to $30. I suppose you can attribute the remaining price difference to the two lights and Ng's use of anodized aluminum. MacDonald's aluminum does not appear to be anodized and there is no mention of it being so on the website.

The Ng website didn't do a great job of providing information or pictures, but it looks like the base grips the handpiece directly. In the picture on the website, note on the right hand side of the upper housing, there is a split, presumably for a screw or knob to tighten down the housing onto the handpiece. (This is an educated guess on my part.)

Intuitively, I would think the MacDonald design would have a more positive interface between the handpiece and the base, but I think a lot of that would depend on the quality of machining in the respective designs.

There looks to be a difference in handling and balance as well. The Ng design grips the handpiece higher up the body whereas the MacDonald design grips it closer to the action, at least judging by the photos. However whether one is better than the other is best determined by first hand experience, and it might be subjective for different users. Like I said, since I have no such experience, I welcome any corrections.

I have the StewMac base as well as the soundhole / rosette routing jig. I build ukuleles and rout for my headstock inlay and rosette. The precision depth adjustment works great for my purposes. Well made tool.

I have the SM base as well and find it works very well. I use a dremel with it. I actually had a homemade jig for a bit, but this one is really nice for dialing in depth. it also comes with a air nozzle to keep things clear, but I just put a piece of tape with a "flag" on it and it blows all the dust away.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Blog Entries
    I have the Stew Mac base and use it with both a Dremel and a foredom. I like it a lot for inlay work. But I don't use it for edge banding or other edge work as the base is quite small. I have never even seen the W. Ng version.

the Microfense looks interesting but may be designed for different purposes than how I might use it.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    Not to add to your quandry but ....

http://microfence.com/micro-plunge-base-p-274.html
    Keith thanks for adding on the Micro Base in the mix. Were from what I have read it is a nice system but a lot more in price and functions than I need. One other thing that kind of gets me is per there web site they sell lights for their routers but will only sell them to current customers? Quote from their web site (Note: These lights are available only to our customers who are purchasing or already own either of our plunge bases.) When I see that type of comments on manufactures web sites it makes me not want to buy anything from them. If they are in business than sell to whoever wants to buy product and not limit to only a few. To me that’s way you are in business to make money and when you limit, you tend to offend potential buyers including me. (Sorry about the rant) 

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Davis I knew they had bases for both Dremel and Foredom but did not know it was an up charge for the Foredom as that’s what I have.

Gary, Jesse, Shawan Thanks for chiming in and giving your positive reviews. As stated in my post to Keith about lights do you feel a small light like WN has on his is needed or just use an accent light you may have in the shop? As I am sure you can find those lights from other sources than MF if helpful.

Thanks Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Let's add a new one. Just saw this one and thought it might be worthwhile.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

i have the stewmac base - have used it xtensively for inlay work and have never had any problems. having said that the more light the better.
    jerry
    jerry

I've used the StewMac base with a standard Foredom handpiece for a long time now-- long enough that the design may be different now. Mine, I think (have to go home and look at it) just captures the handpiece with a set screw. No lights, but a little air jet I hook up to an aquarium pump to clear the dust. I use it with surplus carbide end mills I buy on fleabay and it works like a champ. More light is always better.

Anyone knows where to get the small lights? Like on the William Ng unit....

Thanks
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I see the small lights that might work here: https://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9888317/01635
    and here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dorcy-41-1406-...EM5ECR2CNFPZ0T

Regards,
    Bill

Thanks Bill I did a web search and did not come up with much???
    The pep boys one looks like the ones they sell at MF.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006