Thread: Another scam?

Blog Entries

Another scam?

Last summer I bought something online and was offered 3 month subscriptions to 4 magazines for $2 each, with the promise they would contact me before extending the subscription "at great prices". So last month I see a $120 charge for magazine subscriptions. I call the number that came up with the charge and I get a computer, with absolutely no way to talk to a person. So I thought I cancelled them using the proper voice commands. Shortly thereafter I see a credit for $2. Called back and reiterated the cancel commands. If I don't see a substantial refund in a few days, I am calling our CC company (MasterCharge) and see what they can do. I'm feeling pretty gullible at the moment.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    If I don't see a substantial refund in a few days, I am calling our CC company (MasterCharge) and see what they can do.
    Should have done that first.
    I'm feeling pretty gullible at the moment.
    [/quote]
    Yep.

I NEVER subscribe to anything that has a great price for a few months because you ALWAYS have to cancel before they start billing you the REAL price!!

call your credit card company right now and tell them that these charges made are fraudulent. It happened to me once before and the charges were removed but they still sent me an affidavit to sign and return( a real paper document by snail mail)stating that it was not me who made the charges.

I never subscribe to anything that requires me to use my credit card or set up anything that automatically bills my credit card. If they don't want to take a check for a specific time I don't need it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    call your credit card company right now and tell them that these charges made are fraudulent.
    Yes, this. Right now. These people prey on folks like you and me who tend to give people the benefit of the doubt and expect them to clear things up like any responsible party would. We delay until it is too late. They are busy moving on to the next victim and are not even aware that you are trying to rectify the situation.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Last summer I bought something online and was offered 3 month subscriptions to 4 magazines for $2 each, with the promise they would contact me before extending the subscription "at great prices". So last month I see a $120 charge for magazine subscriptions. I call the number that came up with the charge and I get a computer, with absolutely no way to talk to a person. So I thought I cancelled them using the proper voice commands. Shortly thereafter I see a credit for $2. Called back and reiterated the cancel commands. If I don't see a substantial refund in a few days, I am calling our CC company (MasterCharge) and see what they can do. I'm feeling pretty gullible at the moment.
    When you call your CC company, mention there's no viable way to speak to a person for questions/cancellations. That's against their TOS and can get them booted (I'd love to say "will" rather than "can", but the CC companies don't always make the logical decision). It should also allow for an easy reversal of charges process since you did your due diligence and were blocked by the subscription company.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Books A Million bookstore has a nice, although deceitful in my mind. They offer you 3 magazine subscriptions free for 3 months, with the option of either subscribing or not at the end of 3 months. Only problem is, if you pay with a credit or debit card, you automatically get billed for the subscriptions. You have to contact them to unsubscribe or they keep billing you. I complain about this each time I go into one of their stores, and get asked to try these for free. Never again.

Nothing is free, If I ever see an offer to send me something for free, no CC required no shipping charges, no nothing then I might try it. But then they have your ship address and bombard you with junk mail. you can't win.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    But then they have your ship address and bombard you with junk mail.
    We call it junk mail. One of my mail carriers called it "jobs mail."

Now I do not mind it as much. Just toss it into the recycling kept close to the back door.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)