Thread: Resawing 14" wide Sinker Mahogany

Resawing 14" wide Sinker Mahogany

Had a little fun a couple of weeks ago resawing some Sinker Mahogany for a fellow picker and posted this on a couple of forums I frequent but forgot to post it here, so I'm doing it now. I've never resawn a board this wide so it was a bit of a challenge and test for my setup but we passed the test.

Btw, my helper is great - what an amazing woman!!

The goal was to get one acoustic OM set and leave a blank for an electric build, otherwise I would have cut 5" or so off the width for sides and had a much easier task of resawing a 9" board instead of a 14" board. All cuts came out fine and I lightly sanded the acoustic set on the drum sander even though it came off the saw pretty smooth. The slab was not perfectly flat but it was pretty close, so because of that I made the cuts slightly thicker than if the board were perfectly flat and not quite so wide. After all, I couldn't just run down to the lumber yard to replace this board if something went wrong.

Greener Lumber shipped the board to me earlier in the week and I let it acclimate for a few days before cutting. After cutting I have to tell you that they should call this 'Stinker' Mahogany - this stuff smells when it's cut!

David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Groovy !

Man that is a big blade ! I have bandsaw envy now.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

It's a great bandsaw and blade combo! But I probably shouldn't have posted the video; tomorrow morning a guy is bringing me a 14" wide x 48" long x 1.5" thick piece of Cypress to resaw for him. Oh, well, another 14" wide board to cut but it's fun.
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram