Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on a new drill press

Looking for advice on a new drill press

I've been thinking about a new drill press for some time now and have narrowed down my research to 2 models. I was not in a particular hurry but suddenly realized that at this time of year I might get a better deal on the one I finally decide on, with some help from my fellow woodworkers. I am looking at the Delta 18-900L and the Powermatic PM2800. Both have similar specs in the areas that interest me. The Delta appears to be a solid machine and I haven't run across any bad reviews of it. I do like the idea of having a drill press with variable speed as I also do some metal working which, at times, involves drilling holes up to 1 inch diameter. The variable speed would make the process of stepping up drill sizes much faster. I remember reading that there were issues with the older versions of the Powermatic but I don't know if all of them were resolved in the current model. And , if they were, and I decided on the Powermatic how could I tell a newer version from the older one?

The Delta looks like a great drill and it gets a lot of great reviews. Given the state of Delta I think I would pass. The PM2800A had all of the problems. I haven't heard anything good or bad about the PM2800B.

I'm not familiar with Delta's current offering so I pulled up the manual to review the specifications.

• Chucks: both machines have a Morse Taper No.2 with a Jacob's Taper No.3 chuck.
    • Quill travel: both have 6" of quill travel
    • Speed range: Delta 170-3000 as compared to the Powermatic 250-3000. That very slow speed can be an advantage for some wood drilling operations (Forstner Bits for example). Note, for about $5 you can buy an accurate speed indicator from Amazon.
    • Speed change: The Powermatic has a Reeves type VS (variable speed) drive with an electronic speed readout. The Delta has a quick change (?) lever to adjust the belts, no speed readout. The Delta configuration for 16 speeds is the standard three pulley ... which I find awkward.
    • Table tilt: both have XY tilt
    • Weight: Delta 240lbs, Powermatic 246lbs.
    • Twin Lasers: both
    • Price: Delta about $300 less +/-

There is a lot more to a drill press than comparing the specs ... but that's always a good place to start. I had looked at the Powermatic and were I to purchase a new DP (I have a very nice variable speed Clausing circa 1970) that is likely the one I would choose. But from the specs at least, they seem very comparable. With a drill press (as with any tool) it is advisable to see the one you expect to purchase run ... even checking the runout if possible. Did someone indicate there would be additional WM discounts following Black Friday?

Good luck!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

At a ~$1/pound you'll not find a quality, accurate press, (nor a hamburger).
    Even rebuilts like Buffalo, Atlas, DoAll, Davis & Wells, Powermatics, Rockwells, General, Clausing, Delta, Pre'65 Sears, walker-turner, Duro, & Wilton will be 3x that.
    Notwithstanding, they must be re-built x reputable sources. But if done well, they pay for themselves 5x over.

This PC drill press got a Best Value rating from FWW.

Aaron

I have a Buffalo 15 bench top DP that is a very substantial machine! I found it for $40, changed the spindle bearings, motor bearings and belt. Total investment of ~ $100 and I have a DP with runout around 0.001 at full 4 1/2" extension. Beautiful art-deco lines and not a piece of plastic anywhere!
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

John,
    WC will have 15% off PM tools 11/27-30. Maybe it will help make the PM a little more affordable...

From everything I've read, Delta is great if you get a good one. If you have any problems support and parts are non existent. Powermatic the 'B' version seems to be good minus the price point.

I personally have been leaning towards the new Jet http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/17-drill-press/716300 if not the PC for the price point. Waiting on the funds though.

Please share what you choose and your experiences!

I was doing that back and forth just a couple months ago myself. Ultimately I didnt feel the Powermatic was worth the extra cost and was concerned that their automatic speed control feature was just something more to go wrong or break. That and I happen to think their tools are really an ugly color. I went with the Delta 18-900L and put the money saved towards a new Jacobs 14N chuck and arbor for it as well as full forstner, twist and brad point drill bit sets from Lee Valley. I also went with the HTC 2000 mobile kit for it and the Delta/Biesemeyer fence and shield for it. So far its been nothing short of an amazing package.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I did not know what a PM2800 was so I googled it and came across this old SMC thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...l-Press-Review

Perhaps this may be of some interest...I did not digest the details...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

do you mind used?

I have a pm1150 for sale for 425 to a creeker.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...age2&p=2478269

I am in midland MI

Have the Delta, no problems, quite pleased.
    Largest hole in metal to this point is five/eights

John
    I bought the 1 HP motor equipped Porter Cable PCB660DP at Lowe's in July. It has 12 speeds and a quick change belt setup with the flip of a lever. It normally sells for ~ $330, but I acquired it for ~$260 with my veteran's discount and because I opened a credit card account (yes they gave me a double discount) and offered to deliver it fully assembled to my basement workshop. I have been pleased with its performance so far and just completed a 6 drawer furniture sewing cabinet for my wife's Christmas gift which required a substantial bit of drilling including the use of Fostner bits ranging from 1/4" up to 1 1/4". Pull up the owner's manual on the PC website for all the specs.
    Rick in Stow OH

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Conway View Post
    This PC drill press got a Best Value rating from FWW.

Aaron
    That is scary as the ones I've examined are horrid. The rigid from Home Depot at the same price seems a lot better. I think a lot depends on the individual unit and what they made that day.
    I was completely disgusted by the PM2800 that I bought and returned it the next day for the Delta 17-959 which is mostly fine with a few issues. The 18-900 is clearly a better drill press but Delta is bad as a company. I have 3 of the Delta 17-900 in a shop and they are OK. Completely acceptable as long as you set them up and never try to do something silly like adjust the angle of the table........
    The Powermatic Pm2800B seems nice. Powermatic, aka WMG, stinks almost as bad as Delta. I have a 20 year old PM1150 and two 25 year old Drobos that are nothing short of fabulous. Of course the PM1150 was used and restored and the Drobos were well over $1000 25 years ago for a 12" benchtop unit.
    Thought some might enjoy the pic of the two Drobos still working every day after several decades. The one on the left is set for small holes with precision chuck 0-12,000rpm. The one on the right set for larger holes adjustable for 0-4,000rpm.
    IMG_0127.jpg
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 11-20-2015 at 10:54 PM.

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Unless one is in a hurry, or has to have new tools, a drill press is one of those tools that is inately simple, and there are so many good used ones out there that I am puzzled why people buy new ones as often as they do.

One can buy quality new presses, but you get what you pay for and they are not sold in box stores.

I have picked a Buffalo 15 bench top and a Buffalo 18 floor tin top drill presses from Govt surplus for less than $300 and they are ready to work and built with a quality that isn't so common anymore.

I admit to having a thing for older drill presses as I also have a Walker Turner 900 benchtop and a General Canada 340 floor model as well.

Time to thin the herd.

Me, I don't care much for lasers or other marketing features, but I like having a solid machine that is rock steady and reliable that I got cheaply.

I have a Steel City 20520 that I picked up used whenI needed a bigger press and it is reasonably well made, and has nice features like the 6" stroke, but it is about to get voted off the island as I just like the vintage ones more, and three will be plenty (lol).

All this to say that the older presses are out there and can be had for very little and work as well or better than the new stuff that is made offshore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island