Thread: I am in dust collector ...

I am in dust collector ...

I am considering either the Oneida 2hp portable or the Laguna 2hp portable. The Oneida has lower CFM due to the HEPA filtration. The Laguna has higher CFM with filtration to 1 micron.
    My dust makers are a cabinet saw, edge sander, and 16-32 drum sander......will filtering to 1 micron be sufficient or do I need HEPA filtration for the extra fine dust from the sanders?
    Any help with this will be appreciated.

Sanding is not really what those are made for so I'd take the most cfm and the easiest filter to clean. The short cyclone will allow a lot of dust into the filter and to some degree the quality of the filtration will become irrelevant because as the filter clogs up, the dust will excape from the machine itself and not make it to the filters. The saw and planer will be fine, but the edge sander in particular will be marginal. Find out which filter is surface loading and allows the dust to knock off easily. I would not put a cartridge on a sander unless it had pulse jet and shaker cleaning but that is just me. Dave

Blog Entries
    Like you, i was there too, but now after much research, money and labor am in dust collection heaven.

I went with an Oneida V-5000 which has filtration down to .3 micron. The dust that does the most damage to your health is around the micron level. With a 1 micron filter, your just making it easier to clean up. Your not protecting your lungs. Which is OK as long as you're using a mask.

You definitely want a cyclone separator so your not cleaning filters so frequently. Generally, the shorter cyclones don't separate as well as the taller ones.

Consider what the core business of both vendors is and where the unit is manufactured...and make that part of your decision.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have you looked at the clearvue? I have the Oneida 2hp dust gorilla and it's been a headache to me since the day I started using it. Issues with the bin sensor leaking air, inlet not formed properly, waves in the cone body where it attaches to the motor housing, bin sensor not working causing wood dust and chips to fill the bin and clogging up my filter and so on. It's one thing after another and customer service isn't any help. I've sent them 4 e-mails within the last 3 months concerning the same issues with no reply. I should have gone with the clearvue from the start and it isn't that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Generally, the shorter cyclones don't separate as well as the taller ones.
    I found my old 3hp Laguna separated very well; probably better than my current Grizzly 3hp.

I use an edge sander and a drum sander quite a bit, and have very little dust in the shop; so I figure the Grizzly 3hp filter must be doing a pretty good job. Or maybe you can't see 1 micron dust.

I plan to put a Y in my exhaust so I can vent outside while sanding. The cyclone works great while planing and sawing, but while running my edge sander and widebelt sander, the performance is not so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Donnici View Post
    I am considering either the Oneida 2hp portable or the Laguna 2hp portable. The Oneida has lower CFM due to the HEPA filtration. The Laguna has higher CFM with filtration to 1 micron.
    My dust makers are a cabinet saw, edge sander, and 16-32 drum sander......will filtering to 1 micron be sufficient or do I need HEPA filtration for the extra fine dust from the sanders?
    Any help with this will be appreciated.
    Definitely go with the Oneida. The short funnel design of the Laguna (and a bunch of others) lets way too many "fines" into the filter. Also, a "beater bar" on the filter itself is questionable due to wear concerns. Better to use compressed air.

ClearVue has a major sale this weekend that you may want to look at...