Thread: Festool sander problem

Festool sander problem

I was lamenting in another thread that I haven't been very impressed with my Festool ETS125, but thought maybe it was the Rubin paper, so I bought a box of the new "Granat" paper to try. Well, I went to peel the used piece of Rubin off, and the backing pad came with it, and I can't seem to get it back on.

It looks like there are 4 Torx screws that hold the pad to the sander. It seems like my screws are too short, though The threaded holes on the sander appear to be only threaded on the back half - the portion of the holes closest to the pad is not threaded (or only very light thread marks are visible).

Did I somehow....strip out the threading that holds the pad to the sander?

For reference, I've never had the pad off, before, and this sander has only had light hobby use (probably <10 hours, total).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've found the female threads on the flange to be very easy to strip out. Try some loctite, see if that helps.

I'd just contact Festool - their customer service is excellent in my experience.

I agree....contact Festool. I had a minor issue with a sander and they were great help.

good luck with festool on this one, I had none. The flange is $55.
    The pads wear out pretty fast, in comparison with most others. From my research, a lot of folks strip these out.
    It's incredibly easy to do so.

If Festool offers no help look into trying longer screws. Fastenal or McMaster Carr can be good choices for specialty screws. They are metric of course. Are they blind or through holes? If they are through is there any free space behind to allow a little protrusion? If not you can always take the longer one and grind a little off. I know nothing of the sander but thought these might be constructive suggestions before you have to shell out $55. Good luck.

Looks like half the threads remain - I'll probably just buy some longer screws.

Don't know if you are aware, but you are not allowed to either have or post threads involving problems with Festool. It's probably something you have done to damage the tool, or you have not been using the tool properly.