Thread: any idea why ......

any idea why ......

........... on the simple grid attached, when I engrave it into aclear acrylic the horizontal lines are engraved thicker than the vertical lines even though I have used the same line for all?

It is like this on various power and speed settings and I have no idea why - hopefully it is something simple that someone can suggest and if so, be my guest to call me a muppet

grid 1.JPG

It is an RGB Black, 1.0 pt in weight
    grid 1 settings.JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

I have had that happen when doing a bunch of grids on a softer material such as Rowmark. It has to do with the way the horizontal lines get marked all the way across smoothly, while the verticals get hit briefly as the beam passes by. There are two ways around this. For thin lines, use vector, much faster and very even lines. Just don't go too deep. The other is to make the vertical lines slightly thicker, that takes some trial and error to get right.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Linear Polarisation
    You did what !

Could your laser head be set at a small angle. You wouldn't know it traveling along 1 axes, but you would going along the other.
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Instead of engraving, I would vector at reduced power. The operation will be faster as well.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I will go with Joe's suggestion of making the lines slightly thicker.

I am using the following settings P-23, S-80, PPI 1000, Air Assist off so it is fairly low power.

I am a bit confused because I thought that creating a line using Corel as 1 pt black was a vector line - if this is wrong please be gentle with the abuse
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Taylor View Post
    I will go with Joe's suggestion of making the lines slightly thicker.

I am using the following settings P-23, S-80, PPI 1000, Air Assist off so it is fairly low power.

I am a bit confused because I thought that creating a line using Corel as 1 pt black was a vector line - if this is wrong please be gentle with the abuse
    Our software drivers might require different things, but mine requires the line in Corel to be set to hairline for vectoring
    Full Spectrum Laser 5th Gen, 45 Watt with Gold Catalyst tube
    Rotary Attachment
    Corel Draw X5
    Complete wood shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Troncalli View Post
    Our software drivers might require different things, but mine requires the line in Corel to be set to hairline for vectoring

Trotec its hairline for cutting
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

yes hairline for vector just lower power and speed it up so as not to cut thru, its called vector engraving

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    yes hairline for vector just lower power and speed it up so as not to cut thru, its called vector engraving
    Ahhhh, so what I thought/am doing is correct and I am not a muppet (on this occasion) after all

Thanks for your help guys
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Graham
    if your setting is 1 pt then no its not correct you want to set your lines to HAIRLINE then lower your power and increase your speed to cut your grid at a vewry shallow depth. all lines should be same thickness

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Graham
    if your setting is 1 pt then no its not correct you want to set your lines to HAIRLINE then lower your power and increase your speed to cut your grid at a vewry shallow depth. all lines should be same thickness

hmmm, will try that tomorrow then - I have been in work for 12 hrs already and I am getting a bit confuseed and hungry so its time I left and ordered my Indian curry mmmmmmmmmmm, fat belly time soon

Thanks again
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Linear Polarisation
    In one direction the beam will be thinner than in the other depending on how aligned it is with the polarisation angle. It's the nature of lasers, circular polarisation with 1/4 Phase or 1/8 Phase is designed to prevent this on bigger machines.
    You did what !

In working with fonts, 1 pt typically equals pretty close to .01", but Corel translates 1 pt as .014", so I'll assume your 1pt lines are supposed to be .014"...

That said -- another issue is the resolution you have set. At 500 lines per inch, the beam paths are .002" apart. That means 7 sweeps to cover exactly .014". However, the cut will actually be .014" plus with width of the beam spot. When running the vertical lines the laser must fire and stop within that .014". Simply because of the short time the laser has to do this, AND because even at 500 LPI there will be a speck of un-engraved space between the beam paths along the edges, the likely result is the width of the lines appearing a teeny bit smaller.

If you want the lines all the same, instead of drawing a single line and fattening it up to raster it, how about drawing .014" wide rectangles and weld them together. Give them hairline outlines, raster them, THEN follow that with a low-power vector pass. Every line should be, and appear identical...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

...I am not a muppet (on this occasion) after all
    That clearly means something completely different in the UK than it does here.
    (Although I did find one definition that I can't repeat here that loosely ties the two meanings together... )
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.