Thread: Source for exit doors?

Source for exit doors?

Looking for a good online source for steel exit doors. Specifically a door frame with two doors 36 wide side by side. Local lumber yards want a fortune and I'm looking for good cost comparison.

Thanks!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I would just buy 2 doors, a left and a right, and build a new jamb, with a solid top, and buy the hardware to lock one door top and bottom, just butt the sills together on the bottom, screw down to the floor, add a board to the door you use fixed so you have a stop for the swinging door. That way you can use as a walk in door, and just pull the pins loose to open the second door when necessary.

Try contacting commercial Demolition Contractors and the local equivalent of ReUse, ReStore, etc.

I did exactly as jim did, using two 36 in doors. I didn't even have to make any jambs as I had some new jambs that I didn't use when I replaced some doors. It works good and much cheaper than buying a double we'd door. The doors I used were also used. I drilled a hole in the floor and send used a sliding door latch to hold the door in place and basically did the same at the top. A little seat of the pants engineering can save a lot of money. Jared

Watch at the big box stores. I picked up a special order, double 30 inch wide set, which had been returned with a tiny dent on one of the doors. Less than $100. Wish it had been 36 inch doors, but it works for me. Jim