Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe DC - new Rockler Dust Right?

Question Lathe DC - new Rockler Dust Right?

Greetings all, It has been long time since I posted due to work and life complications...anyhow, I just saw this in the latest Rockler catalog. Has anyone used/bought this... http://www.rockler.com/dust-right-la...lection-system... Seems to be good concept and price is not too bad. I could design something similar, but with time being a premium, easier to buy than spend time making something...any thoughts?

2. I use some Rockler Dust Rite items and like them very much......this is a new item, and looks to have some real promise, but I would like to see some reviews on it.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I agree...I too was waiting for others to share their experiences, if I could find anyone (since it is new item)...

I have their old articulated arm setup- this looks to be much better. I tend to be pretty happy with Rockler stuff, but haven't used it.
    Where did I put that?

I would be happier if it were 4" instead of 2 1/12" outlet. I use a 'big gulp' with a 4" outlet to a dust collector for sanding, but i do like the looks of the articulation.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Oh- I just assumed it was 4". I'd want it in a 4" version.

I use one of these http://www.amazon.com/Breett-Univers...l+phone+holder

My dust collector is a 3 liter soda pop bottle that I have attached my hose to one end and cut out the side of the bottle. Cost me about 15 minutes in time and empty pop bottle, about a foot of duct tape and $6 for the clamp with the flexible arm.

I almost bought this when I placed a Rockler order earlier this month. I didn't because I think a 4" outlet is what is needed to move enough air. I've used a number of systems over the years. Soon, I'll glue some rare earth magnets to a spare 8"x8" dust collection hood I have in the corner of my shop. The magnets will make it easy to reposition the hood along the bed of my lathe when sanding.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I just ordered one, so I'll give a review when it gets here. With a 4" DC you just add a reducing coupler to the hose. The 2-1/2" would be more flexible anyway.
    Thanks for the link.

I've been using the WoodRiver dust hood with stand (link below) for a couple of years now and have been pretty pleased. Connected to the 4" hose it sucks in a lot of dust and the floorstand, which is basically a modified stand like you might find on a heavy duty music stand or lectern, allows me to move it wherever I want to move it.

http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Dust...dp/B0035Y97DO/
    Last edited by Justin Stephen; 11-23-2015 at 1:15 PM.

Another thought would be to take 1 4" S&D Tee fitting and kind of make my own, but then have to figure out how to best mount it. Ahhh, choices choices...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Another thought would be to take 1 4" S&D Tee fitting and kind of make my own, but then have to figure out how to best mount it. Ahhh, choices choices...
    Duct tape it to the cell phone holder I posted above. You can shift it around anyway you want. $8 on amazon.com.

Marvin, could you take snapshot of your setup with the arm you posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Marvin, could you take snapshot of your setup with the arm you posted?
    I won't be able to until next month when we go to Ruidoso, NM for Christmas. It is a cell phone flexible arm, on my set up I use a 3 liter coke bottle cut and duct taped to the arm, ugly but it works, and the cost was only about $8 plus and empty bottle and some duct tape. At home I use the PSI rig. https://www.pennstateind.com/store/D...FQyFaQodOPMBVg

Or you can make your own (this about 5 years ago now).
    Banjo is easy to make or use the lathe banjo also.
    Floor register box about the same size pickup for about $5. Comes with 4" connection.
    Head also rotates 360* so it can follow the shape of a bowl (or sorta).
    Use Velcro and plastic file folder sections to extend under as much as your want to (or to choke off one side).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe