Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm confused, please set me straight!

I'm confused, please set me straight!

So, I recently bought my first table saw (Bosch 4100-9). I plan on building some jigs first such as a crosscut and miter sled. I've been searching the web for different ideas on these sleds. A lot of good info and designs out there. One thing I am confused about though. Most people who are using sleds (on Youtube for example) do not use their riving knife while using the sled. Is there a valid reason not to keep the riving knife installed while using the crosscut/miter sleds? I would think you would want to always have it on unless obviously, you have a dado blade set installed. Also, I took it off to cut through my zero insert plate, but other than that wouldn't it be safer to keep it on when using a crosscut sled?

John

I have an old PM66, and the riving knife I use is attached to the insert, which I generally remove when using a sled. So I don't use a riving knife with a sled but I don't see a down side for you using one.

Hi John, you want to have the riving and guard on the saw at all times.

The riving knife prevents kick backs and the guard also does that by preventing contact with the top of the blade.........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    I have an old PM66, and the riving knife I use is attached to the insert, which I generally remove when using a sled. So I don't use a riving knife with a sled but I don't see a down side for you using one.
    Are you sure you have a riving knife? Sounds like you have a splitter. A riving knife moves up and down and tilts with the blade, can't see how one attached to the insert could do that. Why do you remove the insert when using a sled? I've thought about doing that also. Does it improve dust collection?

To the OP's original question the riving knife or splitter is primarily to prevent kickback when the piece between the blade and the fence catches on the back of the blade and is lifted and thrown toward the front of the saw. Most don't think it can happen when the fence is not there and that's probably why they don't use it. However it can happen without the fence and the riving knife can prevent it. The attached YouTube video by Laney Shaughnessy illustrates how it can happen. . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPEfykBtNhg. So the answer to your question is yes it would be safer to leave it in place when using a sled.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jussel View Post
    So, I recently bought my first table saw (Bosch 4100-9). I plan on building some jigs first such as a crosscut and miter sled. I've been searching the web for different ideas on these sleds. A lot of good info and designs out there. One thing I am confused about though. Most people who are using sleds (on Youtube for example) do not use their riving knife while using the sled. Is there a valid reason not to keep the riving knife installed while using the crosscut/miter sleds? I would think you would want to always have it on unless obviously, you have a dado blade set installed. Also, I took it off to cut through my zero insert plate, but other than that wouldn't it be safer to keep it on when using a crosscut sled?

John
    You're going to find that YouTube is a really awful place to learn about safety, everyone takes all of their safety devices off, even if it makes no sense. I think the whole thing is idiotic, but what can you do?

Blog Entries
    Rule of thumb; use your safety devices whenever it is safe to do so. I generally remove my throat plate and use the RK with my sleds.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I leave my splitter on whenever possible. I can't see why using a sled would require the riving knife or splitter to be removed.
    - Mike

I own that saw and take it with me for installations and the occasional closet build. The run-out on the blade is enough that I wouldn't rely on a sled for accurate cuts closer than 1/64 and sometimes 1/32 (wood dependent.) I'm not knocking the saw, it's every bit worth <$600. Not sure why you'd need a RK for a CC sled as tensions that pinch a blade are released during rips. I've made 1 or 2 cuts in my day and have never had a blade pinched in a crosscut.

This is my preference and I don't recommend it to anyone, nor do I allow my help to operate my TSs in this manner, but I removed my RKs when I run the saw.

Blade selection for that TS - Freud Diablos thin kerf work great. Don't put a full kerf on that saw, you'll burn it up prematurely.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    I leave my splitter on whenever possible. I can't see why using a sled would require the riving knife or splitter to be removed.
    Michael....It depends on the design of the saw. I am one of those who leaves the guard and splitter on if at all possible. However, to use a sled, I have to remove both as the splitter is part of the guard. Without removing the guard/splitter, I could not use a sled.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Michael....It depends on the design of the saw. I am one of those who leaves the guard and splitter on if at all possible. However, to use a sled, I have to remove both as the splitter is part of the guard. Without removing the guard/splitter, I could not use a sled.
    I see. I don't think I've come across one like that before.
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    A splitter I can see, since they might be too tall to fit through the kerf on the sled, but a riving knife? If the blade fits, the riving knife fits too.

Its called a crosscut sled. I really don't think you need a riving knife.

Quote Originally Posted by pat barry View Post
    its called a crosscut sled. I really don't think you need a riving knife.
    ^^^^this^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by John Jussel View Post

John
    I don't think either device provides any protection while using a crosscut sled. There is nothing to "pinch" or force back on the blade. What am I missing here?

For all those who think a kickback can't occur in a crosscut operation please watch the Laney Shaughnessy video I linked to and tell me it didn't happen.