Thread: Cordless Phone Batteries

Blog Entries

Cordless Phone Batteries

OMG! We still have a landline since there is no cell service where we live. Most of our cell calls were to each other while shopping to find out where we were in malls, Costco or the local super market. We no longer have connected cell phones.

Our home phones are a pair of cordless phones we bought over seven years ago. The batteries do not hold a charge as well as they did when new.

Looking for replacement batteries we discovered two things:
    1) No one carries them so they have to be ordered online.
    2) Replacement batteries cost as much if not more than the phones did when we bought them.

Well, the batteries inside were a pack that looked pretty much like three AA batteries connected together. So an eight pack of AA rechargeable batteries was bought and a little time in the shop produced this:

Replacement Battery Pack.jpg

The new AA batteries are just a smidgen longer than the originals. It is a tight fit. No room for sloppy soldering. But hey, the new batteries came charged from the factory and already lasted through one call without a charge longer than the old batteries.

The new ones also have a higher amp hour rating.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Until I gave mine (five receivers) away when I yanked the landline, I got replacement batteries at one of those batteries stores, Batteries Plus I believe. I threatened to make some up like you did, never got around to it. Seems like I asked at the store how they solder to the batteries when they make custom ones, and I remember saying they use a tiny welder. Of course they discouraged me from trying to solder up a replacement.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 11-22-2015 at 6:04 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Seems like I asked at the store how they solder to the batteries when they make custom ones, and I remember saying they use a tiny welder. Of course they discouraged me from trying to solder up a replacement.
    The originals in mine did look to be strips of metal spot welded to the batteries. Even where the leads came in there were spot welded pieces of flat metal with the leads soldered to them.

I checked for being able to solder to the batteries before starting. Seemed to work fine. I have had batteries that didn't like to work with solder. Usually roughing up the ends with some sandpaper cures that.

Off and on I have soldered to batteries since I was a youngster back in the 1950s.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

We no longer have the land line but we still have the phones since they had an intercom feature and we can just call different places in the house. So far though, even though I think we've had the phones for about 5 years, they still charge just fine. When they die though, we're just going to throw it all away because one daughter has already moved out to go to college and the other isn't far behind.

I recently replaced the batteries in our cordless phones.
    $8 at Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
    Gerry

JointCAM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Grzadzinski View Post
    I recently replaced the batteries in our cordless phones.
    $8 at Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
    I noticed that is a 2.4V battery, mine is 3.6V.

So I searched on my batteries and dang if the price that was $15 and up each plus shipping isn't now less than $5 each with shipping.

Battery pack.png

I guess prices change a lot on some things.

jtk

This is what I bought most recently when I discovered the OEM batteries had gone up to over $20 each.
    http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJNP91G
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

You should be able to find them on ebay with direct ship on a slow boat from China for a few bucks.