Thread: Is this a good deal?

Is this a good deal?

I am looking for my first lathe. http: // staugustine. craigslist.org/tls/5304882574.html. This seems like a good deal considering the equipment being included with the lathe. Seems like this is a turnkey purchase. I will mostly be turning spindles for furniture but I am sure once I acquire the lathe I will do more with it. What do you think? thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 11-23-2015 at 10:23 AM. Reason: remove direct link to craigslist per TOS

Assuming the lathe is in good condition, it's a good deal. Keep in mind: Even a good deal can be a bad deal if what you're buying doesn't meet your needs. The Jet has a Reeves drive that will need occasional maintenance to be reliable. Given proper maintenance, it should provide years of trouble-free service. The real downside to this version of a Reeves drive is that it's set up for spindle turning. That means it's minimum RPM is higher than you'd want for turning a large out of balance blank -- which is often the case when you're roughing out a bowl or a large hollow form.

Even with those negatives, I consider the Jet a good first lathe. It will turn a wide range of items, giving a new turner the chance to sample most of what this hobby offers. If a bowl blank is rounded on the bandsaw, the lathe will allow you to turn a decent sized bowl. I have the Harbor Freight clone of the Jet lathe. It was my first lathe and I've been using it off and on for more than a decade. I now also have a larger "top of the line" lathe, but I still use the Harbor Freight lathe on a regular basis. (Mostly as a buffing station, but I also use it for longer spindles that do not fit on my short-bed primary lathe.)
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Honestly...it does seem like a great deal to me. I purchase a lot of my 'secondary' tools from CL and start by the rule of thumb that used tool should be about 50% of new, emphasis on 'start'. And while there is a lot being thrown into that sale, keep in mind that some of it you may never use so you're actually paying relatively more for just the tools you would be using. If you may determine that doing mostly spindles then perhaps the three chucks, face plate, and Cole jaws don't give you much value for the money but the 8" grinder with what appears to be a Veritas brand sharpening platform and the Sorby's (decent to good turning tools depending on who you consult) are very nice 'throw ins'. THAT said...there's nothing to say you can't purchase the set-up and then sell-off those items you don't use, etc. You'll find many a 'great idea' re-sold here for example. At the end of the day, however, Jets have a great reputation in the turning community and you do seem to be getting a complete starter/hobbyist set-up. In your position, I'd check out the condition of the lathe and grinder...how do they run/sound (i.e. bearings, etc) and then perhaps offer him $1k. That would be my threshold. Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

It's not a bad deal. $1K would be better. I started with a Delta version of this lathe and I think the Jet is heavier, a bit better, and accordingly more expensive. I got along fine with my Delta and you should be fine with this. The 14" capacity is nice to have even if you don't turn something at or near 14". I think the "three chucks" the seller is referring to is 1. what looks to be a Nova G3 (I have one and it's a good chuck), 2. the cole jaws, and 3. a faceplate. So it's not really three chucks. The grinder and wolverine jig are great for sharpening. Many turners use that set up (including me). Sorby tools are good quality. What's up with that wrench on the end of the magnetic tool holder? It looks cartoonishly large!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    What's up with that wrench on the end of the magnetic tool holder? It looks cartoonishly large!

Doug
    I would guess that wrench/spanner is for removing the chuck.

Incidentally, I know a lot of folks use magnetic strips for holding tools, and I do that, as well, for allen wrenches. But, I do not like to have any of my lathe related tools or other edge tools on a magnetic strip. Eventually, they will take on a level of magnetism and collect metal particles/dust that is near impossible to remove. Nothing like having some of those embedded in the wood your are trying to get a nice finish on.

Also, Thom, your edit of the hyperlink didn't work. It is still active. Sometimes they can be difficult to remove.

Thanks for the advice. I got him down to $1100 but that was as low as he was willing to go. I guess I am jumping in. THanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    ... Eventually, they will take on a level of magnetism and collect metal particles/dust that is near impossible to remove.
    You can demagnetize to remove the particles or prevent the problem. I don't hang my lathe tools on magnets but they still get magnetized sometimes. That is especially annoying when sharpening on a CBN wheel on a Tormek with the wheel direction away from the edge.

I use a bulk tape demagnetizer I bought in the 70s occasionally to demagnetize anything I don't want magnetized. I see there are many demagnetizers offered on Amazon.

Also, you can remove metal particles with tape.

JKJ