Thread: Coffee Table

Coffee Table

Finished this one a while ago. Wood is Leopardwood I found on craigslist. Very hard, painful to machine cleanly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Very nice piece. How are the stripes / color differences done; a combination of leopard wood and lacewood? These highly flecked woods can often be overpowering if used in conspicuous quantities on a single piece. This table has none of that problem. It is a pleasure to look at and easy on the eyes while still being striking and interesting to those who look closer.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Striking. That amazing wood is tempered by the restrained design. Your craftsmanship and finish look top notch. Very well done.

John

Thanks for the compliments Glen. The stripes are simply different boards I had. I was told the entire lot was Leopardwood, but some boards are redder, and some more yellow. The figure / grain structure is very similar, but the density did vary. The redder boards were much more dense / hard. So you could be entirely correct that some of it is Lacewood and some Leopardwood.

Great looking table!!

Blog Entries
    Pretty! Nicely done!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Nice work--I like the proportions and overall size, and the contrast in grain patterns on the dovetails of the drawer front and sides is as eye catching as the top. I've been wrestling with a coffee table project of my own, and can only hope that it turns out as well in the end!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis Kenzior View Post
    Thanks for the compliments Glen. The stripes are simply different boards I had. I was told the entire lot was Leopardwood, but some boards are redder, and some more yellow. The figure / grain structure is very similar, but the density did vary. The redder boards were much more dense / hard. So you could be entirely correct that some of it is Lacewood and some Leopardwood.
    Well whatever it is, it looks fantastic ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Beautiful work - very clean lines. What is the finish? There is a small bit of end grain visible at the top of the legs - what is that? Thanks

Paul,

Finish is GF High Performance Gloss, sprayed, then rubbed out. Was my first attempt at this, so not perfect.

You have good eyes. The end-grain you see is how the legs are joined to the upper rails. The joint is a through tenon / half lap type joint. The lower rails use two smaller tenons.

very well done. An expert for sure!

Anyone who thinks water based finishes don't look good should look at this table.

John

Blog Entries
    Good looking wood and the proportions of the table are good. Great job!

Beautiful table, beautiful finish. I would hate to put anything on it that would cover up that amazing wood!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Nice looking table Denis,Leopard wood is very difficult wood to work I Tryd some and found to be allergic to the dust.Im not sure about the top wish they were all dark boards.Still a killer piece thanks for Sharing.