Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 1150a Drill Press Help

Powermatic 1150a Drill Press Help

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a Powermatic 1150a Drill Press and right off the bat I can tell that some parts and pieces are missing. The motor that is currently on the unit is a 3 phase and I have a single frame motor coming in. It looks to me that the table raising and lowering components are missing. As well as the knobs on the speed changing handle. Based on the photos provided, can anyone tell me what other parts are missing? The mechanism that raises and lowers the table, what is it called exactly and how many different parts make up said part?

I have uploaded the images to a picture hosting site since the size was too large to upload here directly.

Thank you for your help!

http://postimg.org/gallery/elzje17q/

Dmitrios:

There is a manual at Vintage Machinery for your unit (there may be better ones than this) that list out the parts. The table elevating gear rack and pinion for the lift indeed appears to be missing, and the handle, lockscrew and knob for the clamp on the table post bracket. Not sure you need the former, and the latter should be readliy available from places like MCS. Many DPs (like mine for instance) use a counterbalance for the table which works just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

you are going to want to use existing 3 phase motor w/ a vfd to lower and adjust speed much lower than currently able to, or if if you replace motor. many of the older (and best)drill presses have no table crank, you muscle it up and down. i use a very tall bottle jack from harbor freight ($65) to raise and lower my table. may be easier and cheaper than finding parts. you will want to be sure to loosen lock collar before jacking table, and tighten after. otherwise 8 tons of bending....

Thank you for help, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by keith wootton View Post
    you are going to want to use existing 3 phase motor w/ a vfd to lower and adjust speed much lower than currently able to, or if if you replace motor. many of the older (and best)drill presses have no table crank, you muscle it up and down. i use a very tall bottle jack from harbor freight ($65) to raise and lower my table. may be easier and cheaper than finding parts. you will want to be sure to loosen lock collar before jacking table, and tighten after. otherwise 8 tons of bending....
    That is a good idea for raising and lowering the table. Thank you.

I have a table raise lowering system from an older pm1150. I'll try to post a picture tonight

i should have explained that vfd will take power from regular single phase outlets in your shop, convert it to 3 phase, and let you vary the speed in addition to the variable speed control. it will take the place of your current on off switch. you are going to want lower speed for drilling larger holes.

I think the table height adjustment mechanism was optional, so it may not have ever had one.

My 1150 didn't have one, and I decided to add a trailer jack from HF. It's got about 10-12 inches of travel.

Anyone know the purpose of this knob? Tried to turn it towards the tighten side but it barely moves in either direction.

So this drill press might not of even came with a table raising/lowering mechanism.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have an 1150A single phase. It has the same table and does not have a lift. The lift was an option.

John

That "knob" houses the return spring that brings the spindle back up.

Have you looked through a manual for the DP yet? Vintage Machinery has a few to download.

trailer tongue jack for my table raising mechanism too.

I just downloaded a copy of the user manual. Thank you everyone for the replies.

FYI, there's a table raising mechanism for $150 on OWWM right now.

That one uses a short screw to raise things. The one intended for the 1150A uses a rack and pinion mechanism that has a much longer raising range. Also, it doesn't say whether it fits the 1150A's 3" column or the early Powermatic 2-3/4" column.