Thread: Help needed - Filling in pin holes in melamine carcass?

Question Help needed - Filling in pin holes in melamine carcass?

Greetings all, I just uncovered an error made 6 years ago in my melamine miter station cabinets...I drilled 1/4" shelf pins exactly where I need to place the mounting plate for the Blum hinges! And even worse, the front edge of the hole lines up with where i need to drill the hinge mounting holes. Not sure what I can do...was toying with the idea of drilling the melamine sidewalls with a forstener bit for a 1/2" dia oak dowel section (which I have laying around). My question is would the 1/2" dia be enough to support 1/2 the weight of the door (I am using 2 hinges)? In other words, how strong of a bond will I get between the melamine (particleboard) and the dowel? I am thinking that the larger diameter dowel I use, the stronger it will be.
    Last edited by Jay Yoder; 11-23-2015 at 4:35 PM.

i would just fill the 1/4" holes with 1/4" dowels and be done with it. They will hold the screws well, disappear behind the hinge plates, you already have the 1/4" holes drilled....
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Thanks for the response. I thought about using a 1/4" dowel, but that may not work because the center point of the screw would end up right on the joint between the melamine and the dowel; That is why I was thinking of using the larger diameter dowel rod. The entire screw would end up in the dowel rod and hopefully it would be enough to support the door. I hope that description makes sense.

Move the hinge. Even remaking the doors sounds way simpler than monkeying around filling the holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Yoder View Post
    Thanks for the response. I thought about using a 1/4" dowel, but that may not work because the center point of the screw would end up right on the joint between the melamine and the dowel; That is why I was thinking of using the larger diameter dowel rod. The entire screw would end up in the dowel rod and hopefully it would be enough to support the door. I hope that description makes sense.
    I doubt it will matter. If the dowels are glued in, they will hole the screws. I suppose the larger plugs will certainly work, i just don't see the need for a standard sized cabinet door. Perhaps use a solid dowel such as cut from a dowel rod, not a spiral or fluted dowel, that would maximize glue surface.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I was going to use the typical dowel rod available in length at the big box stores. I don't have any 1/4" at house. I would guess that regardless of dia, the glued joint should be strong enough between the dowel and particle board. Just will make sure I use plenty of glue

Or….if it's close enough to being centered on 37mm you can simply drill them larger so that you can use press in hinges! I forget the size of the dowels, (maybe 7mm?), but pretty sure they're a bit bigger than 1/4". If you used a standard drilling jig your at 32mm centers and probably at the right set back already.

god luck,
    JeffD

Fill the holes and start over. Bondo or JB weld will do it.