Thread: Old stanleys vs Walnut....

Old stanleys vs Walnut....

Have some walnut to glue into a table top, and other parts. Used a Stanley No.7c T-8/9 as a Jointer
    jointed edges.jpgClamped a pair into the leg vise
    jointer plane.jpg
    Then ran this along until the edges matched. Glued the two up
    glue up.jpg
    And let it sit awhile. Today, I unclamped the panel, and went about flattening to make it a table top
    IMAG0308.jpg
    Made a lot of shavings, too...
    IMAG0307.jpg
    But..there was a section right along the glue line, one side was a bit higher. No.7c just glossed over it.
    Got out the No.5c, with a cambered edge. A couple swipes down the joint, high spots were gone. Cleaned it up with a No.4, T-12SW
    IMAG0309.jpg
    Time to latouy some other parts..
    IMAG0311.jpg
    And used a Craftsman to square the ends of the new aprons...
    IMAG0312.jpg
    So...between the planes, and the Mitrebox...I think I got my Cardio Workout today....whew.

Legs will get some curves, there will be a stretcher on the ends for a bottom shelf. Shelf will need to be a glue up, as well. More plane work

Undecided on the edge treatment......curves? Ogee? Roundover? Au Natural? we'll see...right now, I am sitting down and kicking back for the night....

Had a few other Stanleys in use
    planes and shaves.jpg
    The two block planes are by Millers Falls. had a Ohio Tool Works that I thought could be used as a shoulder plane,
    shoulder plane.jpg
    Was a bit too finicky to use, though. Ran a few chisels, as well..
    IMAG0308.jpg
    As I had a few mortises to chop out
    IMAG0314.jpg
    Had four legs to do. Spokeshave to get rid of the saw marks..
    curved leg.jpg
    Upset stomach today.....may be awhile on this build. Table with a shelf is the "Plan" With lots of curves going on.

Nice. Be sure to post the finished product for us.

Generally speaking you don't want to use a cambered blade for edge jointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Generally speaking you don't want to use a cambered blade for edge jointing.
    I don't think he is saying he used it for jointing. I think he is saying he used it to clean up the the glue line after it was joined.

Thanks for sharing Steven. Glad your feeling well enough to get after it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    I don't think he is saying he used it for jointing. I think he is saying he used it to clean up the the glue line after it was joined.
    Oops guess I missed that.

The No.7c has almost zero camber, just a hint on the corners. A type 6 No. 5c I have does have a camber. It was on the iron when I got it, so I left it as is, just honed it sharp.

Have the #6c and the #5-1/2 set with straight edges on the iron. Mainly to flatten panels. The #5-1/2 is the "youngest" of the bunch, as it is a type 17.