Thread: Where did all the ethanol go in denatured alcohol?

Where did all the ethanol go in denatured alcohol?

Had a very perplexing trip to Lowe's and Home Depot. I'm finishing a project that I (now I'm thinking foolishly) am finishing with shellac. I'm half way done, but have run out of denatured alcohol to dissolve my shellac flakes.

I went to Home Depot first, and their Denatured Alcohol cans looked different. So I looked up its MSDS sheet, and now it's not 95% ethanol, it's down to 30-35% ethanol, with most of the remainder 60% methanol and some other assorted chemicals. I'm not sure if methanol is a solvent for shellac, so I didn't buy that, and drove off to Lowe's.

In Lowe's, they had a different brand denatured alcohol (made by the same company). Its MSDS was essentially the same.

So, my questions are:

Is this an acceptable solvent for shellac?
    Will it even work?
    Will it flash off at a different rate?
    Where can one get denatured alcohol that's almost all ethanol (I know it needs some methanol, by law)?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

My depot has quarts of "green" DNA - check the MSDS on that - it's mostly Ethanol here, your mileage may vary.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

There were no greens, and no shelf space in my Home Depot. I had gone in there first looking for it.

It's MSDS says 80-90%, FWIW.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 11-23-2015 at 8:18 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Based on other posts I'm switching to grain alcohol once my denatured is gone.

Where does one get grain alcohol.

I found a few places that still sell the green DNA online (delays, and shipping costs), but it also is no longer 95% alcohol.

Package store. There is a real high test like 98% but it may not be in stock. Graves and Everclear are two brands most have in stock. Supposedly it works fine based on the experience of some here on SMC, and no toxic fumes.

It's getting harder to get. No longer sold in Virginia. A lot more regulation on flammables since 9/11.

Florida is no-go also. Evidently, 151 proof can be purchased, nothing higher, so no help here.

EVERCLEAR 190 PROOF can be ordered in most states. This has a touch of water, but basically pure ethanol. Safe to breath.
    Also online:
    http://www.argonautliquor.com/r/products/everclear-grain-alcohol-190-proof

$17 for 750 ml (25 ounces / 0.2 gallons. - that’s $85 / gallon.

---------------------------------

200 proof Ethanol

available here: http://www.kleenxtract.com/our-products

$80 / gallon, plus $25 hazmat shipping surcharge:

-------------------------------------

This place sells it in a case of 24 1 pint containers: (I don't know the cost)
    http://www.capitolscientific.com/reagent-chemicals-and-lab-chemicals/pure-ethanol-200-proof-ethyl-alcohol

Oh, had no idea. We can still get it. I'm surprised CT is usually over regulated for everything.

In answer to the OPs first three questions - yes, that is an acceptable and workable solvent for shellac. It will flash off slightly faster than something with a high percentage of ethanol, but not to a degree that would require you to change your work habits.

Where I live, it is hard (impossible) to find anything but 100% methanol in useful quantities. So I use 100% methanol and it works fine. Methanol is certainly more toxic than ethanol, which is a justifiable reason for avoiding it. But it works well.

The biggest problem is that methanol is more toxic and can be absorbed through the skin, so glove up and be careful

I do always glove up and use a good chemical mask. Thanks for the useful reminder to all.

I wonder why the switch was made to predominately methanol instead of ethanol. Is it that much cheaper to produce?

Quote Originally Posted by ALAN HOLLAR View Post
    The biggest problem is that methanol is more toxic and can be absorbed through the skin, so glove up and be careful

Also from breathing it. It's VERY nasty stuff.

Three Alan's in a row. Don't see that every day.