Thread: A simple tip, hesitant to post

A simple tip, hesitant to post

I have to admit that I don't post a lot of helpful things because I assume most of you are ahead of me in getting things done, the best and easiest way. With that said, I would like to add a tip that my son and I do every day we work in the shop. We both wear aprons because we got tired of searching for pencils, tape measure, etc. (this is not the tip, I assume most do this) The thing we do is keep a roll of blue painters tape in the center pocket. We use this tape for all kinds of reasons....to bring attention to various things on a piece of cut wood. Examples being marking a small knot that we want to put on the inside of a cabinet, identifying specific parts for a build (we tend to create the carcass of a dresser and then assemble so the tape is easy to write on), and during assembly we may use the tape to highlight an area that may need wood filler or extra sanding.

This is not life changing but thought I would pass it on. Hope it helps someone

Yes, good tip. I use blue tape a lot but if it was on hand it would be great for "don't forget about....." Also writing on it is nice if it is right there and convenient.

Great idea, though I'm too cheap to use my blue tape for that many uses, that stuff is so expensive! Instead of tape, I use chalk. I make rough part outlines, circle defects, label parts, etc. I use a lot of walnut so white chalk shows up nicely. It rubs off with mild pressure, then by the time you start sanding it's gone.

small Post It notes.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Good tip Scott. I use that blue tape for any/all types of marking tasks. It's more expensive than I'd like, but for me, it's worth it.

Thanks!
    Fred

Same here, and my principal use has been writing digital references for planer thicknesses and shaper settings. I know it is a bad habit and I should log in a book (sometimes - though not often enough - I do). Like the chalk mentioned by Chris (which he indicates disappears before sanding) ... I wonder if the blue tape leaves any residue?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Excellent tip. I use blue tape a lot but never thought to carry it with me - I used to hunt around for where I laid it last until I drove big screws down one wall just for tape.

BTW, a couple of years ago I switched to this green tape instead of blue for most uses since it holds better on more surfaces:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4AY

It's more expensive but real cheap compared to most things I buy for the shop.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Excellent tip. I use blue tape a lot but never thought to carry it with me - I used to hunt around for where I laid it last until I drove big screws down one wall just for tape.

BTW, a couple of years ago I switched to this green tape instead of blue for most uses since it holds better on more surfaces:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4AY

It's more expensive but real cheap compared to most things I buy for the shop.

JKJ
    Does the green tape leave a residue? The blue does not that is why I use it for masking.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Good tip Scott. Never hesitate to post. Most of the regulars here are not the type to imply that something is "well known" or "common sense" so don't be shy. I visit here year after year and although I see a lot of things that I already know, have heard or do . . . there always seems to be something new to learn. BTW, my various widths of blue tape are in a drawer of my assembly table and I use it a lot. As for folks thinking it is too expensive, I have many many rolls that I picked up for pennies on the dollar; you just have to watch for sales, clearance racks and so forth.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was just thinking how useful the BPT is yesterday. Working with walnut, pencils are such a bear to see. The painters tape also makes a great tearout preventer on the underside of tablesaw cuts.

You're right, it should be in the apron that I should buy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Does the green tape leave a residue?
    I have never seen a residue, even when leaving it on something a long time.

Now I have had some blue tape that would stick fairly well and others that would fall off if you looked at it sideways. But I showed the green stuff to a friend who can do anything and knows almost everything and after trying it, he ordered some.

JKJ

Good tip: I use regular beige masking tape myself and I keep it in a dispenser that is screwed down to one of my benches.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I'll never get over the idea that aprons are for men but I do use the tape trick often.