Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why level machines in the shop?

I like levelish and if it's really off level it could be good training for zero grav.

My machines are only as level as the concrete floor in my shop. Never even considered putting a level on any of them. None of them "walk" around when running, though.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

So my pencils & marking knives don't roll off.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 11-24-2015 at 8:53 PM.

The main reason is because a lot of woodworkers are really, really, really obsessive (I was going to say "anal-retentive" but was pretty sure that violated the TOS) about such things.

Seriously. Oh, and because then its easier to support stock.
    Paul

"My t/s , router table , work bench and planer are level and set at the same height , in a small shop there are times when one object serves as the outfeed surface for another."

(Still don't know how to do that bubble thing for quoting someone else's wisdom or logic.)

I level them pretty close for a variety of reasons but mostly because I'm particular - it's not quite right if it's not level.

But only within reason. My jointer is on a busted mobile base so that the only way that it works is when it's not level. It's too much of a hassle to swap out the base so I'm cool with it

Being that pretty much all my tools are on wheels and are moved around at least a bit while they are being used there is no leveling for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The only things that I've leveled on the shop is the widebelt, it's out feed table, and the panel saw. Everything else is just sitting on the floor. The out feed tables on table saws are shimmed so they plane out with the saw, but I if they are level it's just coincidence. Everything else is shimmed so they don't rock.

Blog Entries
    My shop is an attached 2 car garage. I'd guess my floor slopes about 3" to 4" in about 20'. I level my machines and bolt them down. I have a construction background and stationary equipment is generally required to be leveled and bolted down. Pretty much always.

Besides I just like the machines square to the shop, level and bolted down.

PHM

What's this 'level' term I keep hearing about?

I'm with you Adam and Eric. As long as it ain't rockin' or rollin', "ish" works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I know one very important reason, perhaps not so much level as in "perpendicular to gravity", but as "in a perfectly flat plane". If all support points are not in a perfect plane the machine can warp causing inaccuracies in the cut.

The most glaring example of this is in a lathe. It is important to check the alignment of the headstock and tailstock by putting point centers in each and see if they line up perfectly. It is common for them to be off by a small amount which can cause severe vibration and other problems. Believe it or not the cast iron bed can easily bend, a common reason for misalignment is one leg out of level.

When setting up my little machine shop I read of a machinist who demonstrated this to visitors on a huge lathe by letting them press on the bed with a finger which caused a deflection in a test indicator on the piece!

Before I found out about the importance of leveling I had a terrible problem with one wood lathe being out of alignment. I resorted to adding thin shims on the ways and using a magic wand but it was never perfect. I finally brought it into perfect alignment with a 1/2 turn of one leveling foot.

I had a similar issue when setting up my cabinet saw. A precision level showed a slight twist in the table surface from front to back until I shimmed one corner of the base. (It didn't have leveling feet.)

JKJ
    +1. Late to this thread, and I'm surprised John is the only one who has made this point. Our big machines have heavy components of disparate sizes and weights that are not uniformly distributed around the machine's center of mass. Engineers design large woodworking bench machines to sit level to the ground plane, and if they don't, stress is induced in the wrong places and can cause bushings, bearing and belts to wear prematurely, and cast iron to deform. I do agree with others that whether the top "working surface" of a machine is perfectly level to the ground plane may not be critical to producing good work. And, for that matter, the working surface can sometimes be made level to the ground even though the rest of the machine is not. But it is a good place to start in recreating in our shops the correct alignment and equilibrium within the machine that it is designed to have. And sometimes our work is affected, as John notes. The lathe is a good example. If all four feet are not adjusted to be in the same plane, it can easily twist the cast iron or steel bed ways just enough to throw the headstock and tailstock centers out of alignment. In a heavy table saw, twist induced over time in the cast iron top and wings can affect precise cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    (Still don't know how to do that bubble thing for quoting someone else's wisdom or logic.)
    I just use the "reply with quote" button. Much easier than remembering the quirks of BBcode.
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    +1. Late to this thread, and I'm surprised John is the only one who has made this point. Our big machines have heavy components of disparate sizes and weights that are not uniformly distributed around the machine's center of mass. Engineers design large woodworking bench machines to sit level to the ground plane, and if they don't, stress is induced in the wrong places and can cause bushings, bearing and belts to wear prematurely, and cast iron to deform. I do agree with others that whether the top "working surface" of a machine is perfectly level to the ground plane may not be critical to producing good work. And, for that matter, the working surface can sometimes be made level to the ground even though the rest of the machine is not. But it is a good place to start in recreating in our shops the correct alignment and equilibrium within the machine that it is designed to have. And sometimes our work is affected, as John notes. The lathe is a good example. If all four feet are not adjusted to be in the same plane, it can easily twist the cast iron or steel bed ways just enough to throw the headstock and tailstock centers out of alignment. In a heavy table saw, twist induced over time in the cast iron top and wings can affect precise cuts.
    David that's a great point. I wonder what the tolerances are for these machines.
    BTW, when I meant not level I did not mean sliding around the shop not level, but maybe one or two degrees off.

There may be more to this “level” than you realize. I have long experience with installing machines and process equipment. The machine was assembled at the factory on a flat, level, reference surface. Then it’s dropped on an uneven garage floor on a mobile base. We read in these discussion forums about the person that then gets out a straight edge and finds, for example, that the out feed table on the new jointer/planer is out of alignment by 6 thou. Then there is a rant that the machine is no good, the company won’t come out and fix it and then it’s taken apart and the new owner spends months trying to fix this 6 thou. I recall one post I read where the machine was never used – the owner gave up. Never even put wood through it. But maybe, and I agree all machines are different, if a wedge was put under one leg and tapped with a hammer a couple of times that 6 thou thing would disappear. “Level” doesn’t just mean the table looks good with a level on it. At the factory, on the assembly table there’s 25% of the machines weight on each leg. But on your garage floor perhaps 80% of the weight is on two diagonal legs and the rest on the other 2.

I have an old Rockwell Contractor's saw. It sat on various concrete floors for many years the weren't level, although always firmly planted. I never thought much of it until I tried to bring it into alignment with an out feed table, which is dead flat and level. Using some big leveling feet I got it level only to find that one of the feet floated. The frame was racked, probably from being reassembled on a not level surface several years ago when I rebuilt it. I guess it does matter for some machines.