Thread: Track Clamps & Router Guide for Makita Track Saw

Track Clamps & Router Guide for Makita Track Saw

I just purchased a Makita track saw which I need to purchase clamps for.

I guess it comes down to the DeWalt squeeze clamps or the Makita screw clamps.

Also, I am interested in getting a router guide to use with the track. I would prefer one that would work with one of my existing Porter Cable or Bosch routers. The EZ Smart Router Kit looks nice but it is probably a little more than I want to spend. I envision using the edge guide for all types of things but I wonder how much it will actually get used and if it's worth it.

Any suggestions?
    - Mike

I have the Makita track saw with both lengths of track. I use the Dewalt clamps and I am happy with them. I have used the track saw for a lot of things that would be very difficult to do on the table saw. I just wish I had purchased these years ago. A router guide would be nice, but I think that will be a DIY project down the road.

I was most concerned with a router guide correctly engaging the track, so I got the Makita router guide for my (Makita) track. I can report its mount points match up with my DeWalt router. I believe Porter-Cable and DeWalt routers use the same accessories. I'm not sure about Bosch, but it seems guide are standardized. Anyway, you should double check before you commit.

I have a Makita track saw and I am very satisfied with the Dewalt track clamps I bought to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I was most concerned with a router guide correctly engaging the track, so I got the Makita router guide for my (Makita) track. I can report its mount points match up with my DeWalt router. I believe Porter-Cable and DeWalt routers use the same accessories. I'm not sure about Bosch, but it seems guide are standardized. Anyway, you should double check before you commit.
    How do you like the edge guide? Any slop or play in it? Also, which DeWalt router are you using?

Thanks in advance!
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    How do you like the edge guide? Any slop or play in it? Also, which DeWalt router are you using?
    I haven't used it for a project yet. (It was on sale and I wanted it "one of these days".) Just fitting it to the DeWalt 611 w/Plunge base and the track it seems snug. It has about the same amount of play as the Makita track saw does. I expect you could rush cuts and get off a little, like the saw, and a steady hand will help. Thinking about it, I expect more side forces with the router, so it will probably be a little harder to use well.

I like my DeWalt clamps, they hold plenty enough and can be used easily with one hand. There is at least one review of the DeWalt router adapter that say it can be used with the Makita track on Amazon. There is one that says it can't too, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zerance View Post
    ...Also, I am interested in getting a router guide to use with the track. I would prefer one that would work with one of my existing Porter Cable or Bosch routers. The EZ Smart Router Kit looks nice but it is probably a little more than I want to spend. I envision using the edge guide for all types of things but I wonder how much it will actually get used and if it's worth it.

I have the Eurekazone (formerly EZ Smart) router kit, plus the extra stops, and it's one of the best purchases I ever made. I don't own a router table or shaper, so the track system is incredible for larger jobs with straight cuts. The best thing is, you can safely go in the "wrong" direction, and so get a smoother cut.

I dunno if this sled fits on the Makita track, though. Does it?

As for price, there isn't a single feature on it that I'd want removed, so I don't see how buying something less expensive would make any sense. In fact, I wish it cost more but had a lead-screw adjuster.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 11-24-2015 at 8:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I like my DeWalt clamps, they hold plenty enough and can be used easily with one hand. There is at least one review of the DeWalt router adapter that say it can be used with the Makita track on Amazon. There is one that says it can't too, however.
    I was looking into using the DeWalt guide, which looks more robust and functional then the Makita guide, but, like you, couldn't find a definitive answer on whether it would work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    I have the Eurekazone (formerly EZ Smart) router kit, plus the extra stops, and it's one of the best purchases I ever made. I don't own a router table or shaper, so the track system is incredible for larger jobs with straight cuts. The best thing is, you can safely go in the "wrong" direction, and so get a smoother cut.

I dunno if this sled fits on the Makita track, though. Does it?

As for price, there isn't a single feature on it that I'd want removed, so I don't see how buying something less expensive would make any sense. In fact, I wish it cost more but had a lead-screw adjuster.
    That's good to hear. I watched some demonstration videos and it seemed decent but it also looked like it could be a little finicky to set up and adjust. I like that any router can be used with it.

Their site says that it works with the Makita track.