View Poll Results: Which Mortiser Would You Choose?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rikon

5 12.20%
  • Powermatic

34 82.93%
  • Shop Fox

2 4.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mortiser Advice

I've had the PM 719 floor model for about 30 years (the Tilt version was not available back then) with absolutely no regrets. It has met all expectations, for example cutting 2" x 4" x 2 1/2"deep mortises on "Country Table" bases. I also have the small domino which definitely has been a valued addition to my shop.

Fully recommend the PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Some of the other machines on your list have the same rotating feature.

Fred
    Hey Fred, which of the other two rotate? I did not notice anything about that on those.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Hey Fred, which of the other two rotate? I did not notice anything about that on those.
    Jet says "column is reversible for mortising long stock". If I understand what Ive read correctly, that lets it rotate so the head is 180 deg away from the table. That's the same thing as what I saw in your video.

I believe I saw the PM701 do the same in an online video. I think it was this one, but I didn't watch it again to check. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AM0htu5ZemU This is a pretty good demo.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-25-2015 at 6:17 PM. Reason: Tgpos

I have the General 75-075 and find the rolling table to be well worth the upgrade price. Once I set the stops I can make as many pieces as I need with no fiddling, marking, or measuring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Stew, 1/2 HP is more than required for a mortise, all it is doing is drilling a hole with an auger bit.

The consistently hi ranked mortiser is the General International model, which I've owned for about 14 years. It has an excellent vise, is strongly made and works very well.

Most of my work is in quarter sawn white oak, and the machine works very well.

The Powermatic model you illustrated has such a poor work holding system I would never buy it. A mortise needs a strong vise to hold the work securely and accurately.

The Shop Fox you illustrated is made with a couple of round steel posts, hardly rigid enough for the demands of a mortise, you should only buy one with a box frame and dovetail ways.

Of all you've illustrated, the Rikon is the best, it has a large enough motor, a good hold down vise and a box section frame with cast iron ways. If you can't find a General International buy it.

On all the machines you will need to hone the chisels inside and out, and perhaps sharpen the auger bit before use.

Regards, Rod.
    Rod, was your GI made in Canada or Tiawan?

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Rod, was your GI made in Canada or Tiawan?
    Hi Kent, all the GI equipment is made in Taiwan.

General equipment was made in Canada and they ceased production a couple of years ago.

Regards, Rod.

I bought a new General International about 13 yrs ago. It sounds like it should be a nice machine if I should ever decide to use it. Once I got it I set it up drilled 2 test holes in red oak. I actually lost my job right after I ordered it & before it was delivered. Then I l gave up doing any flat wood work. It's been sitting on my bench collecting dust for like I said 13 yrs now. I thought about returning it but I had already paid for it & I didn't want to pay return shipping so I just kept it. I switched to turning where I haven't had to buy any wood since.

I recently sold my Jet (similar to the PowerMatic) to another member. Of the three you post about, I'd also recommend the PowerMatic.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Multi-router by JDS
    Nothing mentioned here can touch the MR in terms of versatility. Downside.... Price!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

Jet says "column is reversible for mortising long stock". If I understand what Ive read correctly, that lets it rotate so the head is 180 deg away from the table. That's the same thing as what I saw in your video.

I believe I saw the PM701 do the same in an online video. I think it was this one, but I didn't watch it again to check. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AM0htu5ZemU This is a pretty good demo.
    Jet was not one of my choices.

Stew Hagerty

Check out this great in-depth review of the Rikon. I believe the reviewer is a creeker.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Hagerty View Post
    Jet was not one of my choices.
    Excuse ​me.

Well I took the plunge.
    I ordered the PM701.
    With the Cyber Monday special, it was just $420. That price made the decision pretty easy.

So...
    Chisels

Powermatic sells a set of 4 for $140,
    Lee Valley has their Japanese "Premium Set" for $169
    And their "Economy Set" for $52

Now, I'm a hobbiest. I do have some furniture projects coming up That will have a bunch of M&T joints, which is why I figured it was time to buy the machine.
    I'm not going to do thousands of mortises. At least not in anyshort or even medium amount of time. I guess over the course of many many years I may perhaps do thousands, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

So... Recommendations on chisels? And why?

Stew Hagerty

You will benefit from the Premium set from Lee Valley -- I have found they make accurate cuts and maintain sharp edges. Very well made ... and be sure to buy the sharpening cones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    You will benefit from the Premium set from Lee Valley -- I have found they make accurate cuts and maintain sharp edges. Very well made ... and be sure to buy the sharpening cones as well.
    This mirrors my experience as well, they were well worth the money, and yes purchase the conical hone for them while you're ordering.............Regards, Rod.