Thread: Anyone get this in the Mail today?????

Anyone get this in the Mail today?????

Got something in the Mail today.

From the UNITED STATE CENSUS BUREAU.

AMERICAN COMMUNITY SURVEY

Says I am supposed to go to the Census .Gov website , and complete the survey online.

Is this for real?????

I thought they completed the Census a few years back ?

It seems like it's for real. This is what they say about it on the Census.gov web site :

The Census Bureau conducts more than 130 surveys each year, including our nation’s largest household survey, the American Community Survey and the largest business survey Annual Retail Trade. Your participation is important because your answers make a vital difference. When you respond to a survey or census, you are helping your community and the nation. Your answers, combined with others, become the statistics that businesses, governments and people like you use to make informed decisions about education, emergency preparedness, employment, international trade, health, housing, and other important topics.

Participation is voluntary but more participation helps to make the surveys more accurate.

I got that a couple of months ago it is real

There are other types of more detailed surveys too. About a year ago I was contacted by mail by the Census Bureau and then by phone by a census employee who made sure I saw her credentials when she came by the house to do the initial interview. Since then, the other quarterly interviews have been by phone. It's quite detailed about employment hours, income, education levels, and so forth. Quite painless really and after the initial baseline interview takes about 10 minutes per call. The interviewer is quite polite and friendly.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I actually worked on the 2010 Census. I learned then that there are surveys of various types happening throughout the following ten years. This is likely for real.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Got something in the Mail today.

From the UNITED STATE CENSUS BUREAU.
    With that kind of misspelling...I'd be wary. And how did the Commerce Department get your email address? While Census is planning on supporting multi-media for the 2020 Census (RFP is on the street), they are not all that technology forward at present. Surveys are usually done by US Postal mail at present and followed up on by a human enumerator for quality control after submission.

Go to the Census web site directly (not by clicking on anything in that email) and see if you can find any references to this survey...

Now if I misunderstood and you got this via the postal service on paper, then it's likely legitimate if they are referring you to the actual Census web site.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-26-2015 at 1:37 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

He never said Email

If it's for real and you don't respond they will inundate you with letters and then even visits. I wait for the visits.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    He never said Email
    Another case of glossing over the thread.

I got that a couple of months ago it is real
    Me too....what's worse was I couldn't even go back to the online survey and print out what I answered on the survey after I submitted the survey. It's for real but the online survey has some issues.

I kept getting phone calls from them this Fall. Like anybody believes caller ID nowadays? I told them they could mail the questions to me, I wasn't answering the questions on the phone from someone I couldn't identify. Apparently they had mailed me the questions. Using my street address will get them no where since I only have PO service. Still waiting to hear back from them.... Having worked the census a few times I understand how thankless a job it can be.

He never said Email
    And I acknowledged that I may have misunderstood him...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My youngest daughter was tickled to hear about this. She works on the American Community Survey. Not on the planning or implementation, but on the processing of the results.

Blog Entries
    Dave, you were right to check ID. I always do. A guy came around once to do a background check on my neighbor for a security clearance. I refused to let him in even though he flashed an FBI badge. I said, "This is how this is going to work. You will leave me a card and I will contact the FBI myself using the phone book. If you check out, I will call you." He did check out (retired agent making some cash). Later, he thanked me. He said he had been an agent for 30 years and I was the first person to ever double check that he was who he said he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I refused to let him in even though he flashed an FBI badge. I said, "This is how this is going to work. You will leave me a card and I will contact the FBI myself using the phone book. If you check out, I will call you."
    Now THAT is pretty slick.